cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

searching within a mailbox in Discovery Accelerator

goof717
Level 5

Hi. Thanks for the time.  I apologize for the noob questions.  I am just trying to get my head around Discovery Accelerator.

If I want to search for items within a single user's mailbox...how would I go about it?

This is what I have done so far:

-created a new case for that new user

-under search terms:

i-To or from: user@domain.com

ii-subject or content: investigation

however the it is searching the entire email vault.  Is there a way to only search through this user's mailbox and the contents he/she has.?

appreciate the feedback.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

make sure your user has the "select archives in search" permission

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Discover Accelerator will only search through a users archive/vault.

It won't search through  non-archived emails in the users mailbox.

Is it the second of those that you want?

If you have journal archiving enabled, then you could search that with the to/from specified as you have it.

Working for cloudficient.com

goof717
Level 5

Thanks for the response Rob.  we do have journal archiving enabled. but I dont see where i can choose just the journal? or am i just confusing myself?  I just want to make sure i only search for emails for this particular user.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Please clarify whether you mean emails or archived items. If archived items then you search the users archive. If emails then it would be in the journal archive with the from or to as you indicated.
Working for cloudficient.com

goof717
Level 5

Again sorry for the confusion.  I mean emails not archives.  

so I would be using the journal archive.  is there a checkbox that I need to check in order to use the journal archive?

And am i setting it correctly where it will only search the journal for that user for emails sent/received. or does each search term search through the entire journal archive?

i have attached a pic to hopefully clear it up a bit.

thanks again for the time.

AndrewB

in the next section below that search term section you're in you have "archives"

select "search these archives" and either type in the name(s) of your journal archive(s) or use the serach button on the right of the dialogue box to search, find, and select the journal archives.

goof717
Level 5

Andrew - thanks for the response...however I don't see 'search these archives' or something similar to that.  Am I just in the wrong section?  again this in in Discovery Accelerator where a new case has been opened and I want to search the Journal archive.

Do you perhaps have a screenshot of it?  Thanks.

AndrewB

here's a screenshot with highlighted relevant areas in red for you. (btw, this is a new search i just created)

goof717
Level 5

I dont have that option.  I am using the EV Discovery Accelerator 10.0 on the DA server.

AndrewB

make sure your user has the "select archives in search" permission

goof717
Level 5

Ha. found that option.  I feel silly.  However how do I target a single user's mail.  I have to use the journal archive but wont that search all emails that come through the journal?  not just the single user in case?  Thanks again.

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When you have just the journal archive selected to be searched, the actual search criteria will then take into account what you're looking to find.  So, if you want to find all messages sent to or from a specific user, use the "To or from" field to specify the SMTP address or addresses of the specific user and run the search.  That search will then return only e-mails sent or received by that user.  If you have Custodian Manager configured and the user you want is a Custodian, you can specify the Custodian Manager entry for that person to have all SMTP addresses that are defined for him or her used in the search.

So, just specify the user, either by selecting their Custodian Manager entry or by adding their SMTP address or addresses in the 'To or from' field and run the search.  You'll likely get 1000's of hits for a open dated search, but that's to be expected of any user who has been sending and receiving e-mails for a long time.

If you only want e-mails to or from that user during a specific date range, just specify the start and end dates for the date range you're interested in, add the Custodian or SMTP address(es), then save the search to start it running.

Note that a date range search can be sped up a bit if you have the Configuration tab's Settings sub-tab, Search section's option "Optimize searches based on oldest and youngest items" enabled as this will allow index volumes that do not have data in the specific search date range to be excluded from being searched.   You'll get an Info column entry of "Date range exclusion" for each such index volume.

goof717
Level 5

awesome thank you for the clarification.  And esp thanks for the knowledge and patience.