cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Disable DMP?

george77
Level 2
Partner

I have a customer who installed HDLM along with Storage Foundation 5 on a Solaris 10 server.  Not surprisingly, they had issues.  Now they want to keep HDLM and Volume Manager but disable DMP.  While I do not agree with this approach, I've been given the task to disable DMP.

So, I know I can use vxdmpadm exclude vxdmp to exclude controllers from being considered by DMP.  My question is, is there a way to completely disable DMP altogether, or is excluding disks the best way to go?  I've found references on the Symantec support site that discuss disabling DMP for earlier versions of Storage Foundation but nothing that relates to SF 5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rick_Stallcop
Level 4
DMP is not an optional component in the 5.0 release so it is no longer possible to completely disable DMP.

Thanks

Rick Stallcop

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Eric_Gao
Level 4
so the exclusion is persistent, you might create file /etc/vx/vxdmp.exclude.

george77
Level 2
Partner
Excluding with vxdmpadm creates entries in the /etc/vx/vxdmp.exclude file, so those changes are persistent.  I was looking to see if there was another way to completely disable DMP so it would not be necessary to update the exclude list if the host recognized disks on another controller.

Rick_Stallcop
Level 4
DMP is not an optional component in the 5.0 release so it is no longer possible to completely disable DMP.

Thanks

Rick Stallcop

george77
Level 2
Partner
Digging further into HDLM I learned that HDLM includes a utility, dlmvxexclude, that automatically generates exclude file entries.  The technique is to generate an entry for each path but one for the /etc/vx/vxvm.exclude file for every device HDLM controls.  While effective, the downside is that every time you add a device to HDLM, you have to re-run dlmvxexclude -- and reboot.