cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server 2003 Spanned Dynamic disk (resize)

Mister_D
Level 3

Under Server 2003 Disk Management, "extend volume" and "shrink volume" are greyed out.  There are 4 SATA drives that create 2 partitions...  12GB and 211GB 

The 12 GB partition holds the OS, but requires more space.  If I UN-Span these volumes, will I compromise data?

All I want to do is expand the C: drive to hold all the MS updates.

thanx for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Dale,

I'm not sure of the hardware that you are using or what converting logical drives to basic will do to your data.

If you are seeing only one drive from within Windows that contains two partitions then this is the process that you will need to do.

1. Backup DATA from partition 2 (G: with your example.)

2. Delete partition 2 (G: - shrinking the partition will put the extra space in the wrong location to expand the C: drive.)

3. Expand partition 1 (C:)

4. Recreate partition 2 (G: - this will in affect move the starting point of partition 2 to the end of the newly expanded C:.)

5. Restore DATA to partition 2 (G:)

Again, I'm not sure of what you mean by convertion Logical Drive to Basic and then back to a Logical Drive.  This might wipe out all of your data and your OS.  Please contact your hardware vendor for assistance on this part.

Thanks,

Wally

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mister D,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have 4 sata disks that you use a RAID card to create 1 large harddisk that the OS sees.  From there you have 2 partitions on this 1 logical harddisk, with C: (OS) on partition 1 and another driver letter on the other.

If this is the correct understanding of your configuration, then you will not be able to expand the c:\ partition without deleting or moving the second partition. The reason is that shrinking the second partition will free up space at the end of the drive.  However, to expand the C:\ (OS) drive the space need to be contigous - aka before the second partition.

As for un-spanning the volumes, if you are using hardware RAID to create these then you will need to talk to the manufacture of that hardware RAID.  But my guess is that it will destroy the data on the logical harddisk.

Thanks,

Wally

Mister_D
Level 3

Thanks Wally for your input.  You have verified my fears BEFORE catastrophe! 

Your understanding of the situation is almost on the spot excepting the RAID hardware.  The SATA drives are connected directly to the MB.

So, if I understand you... a work-a-round (step-by-step) might be:

1. Backup DATA from partition 2 of the logical drive

2. Convert Logical drives to Basic

3. Shrink partition 2 (G:)

4. Extend partition 1 (C:)

5. Convert Drives back to Logical

6. Restore data to partition 2

Did I miss any steps????

Oh yeah, this is inside a server, and therefore must be mapped again, right?

I really appreciate your assistance

Dale

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Dale,

I'm not sure of the hardware that you are using or what converting logical drives to basic will do to your data.

If you are seeing only one drive from within Windows that contains two partitions then this is the process that you will need to do.

1. Backup DATA from partition 2 (G: with your example.)

2. Delete partition 2 (G: - shrinking the partition will put the extra space in the wrong location to expand the C: drive.)

3. Expand partition 1 (C:)

4. Recreate partition 2 (G: - this will in affect move the starting point of partition 2 to the end of the newly expanded C:.)

5. Restore DATA to partition 2 (G:)

Again, I'm not sure of what you mean by convertion Logical Drive to Basic and then back to a Logical Drive.  This might wipe out all of your data and your OS.  Please contact your hardware vendor for assistance on this part.

Thanks,

Wally

Mister_D
Level 3

Your #2 should replace my #3.  I get it.  Delete partition 2 (G:)

Re: converting logical to basic......  isn't that how to 'un-span' the 4 hard drives

Thanks again for your help!

Dale

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Dale,

I'm not sure what you mean by "un-span" the 4 hard drives or by converting logical to basic.  These do not sound like SFW operations so I can not help with them.

Thanks,

Wally

Mister_D
Level 3

Forgive me...  When I used the term 'Logical Disk", I meant 'Dynamic Disk'.  I'll be my previous posts make more sence, now.

As for UN-spanning, I can't just remove one SATA HD without doing something Disk Management-wise.  Therefore, what I need to know is how to SEPARATE the 4 drives after I back up all the data, and before deleting partition 2.

Thanks again for your time!

Dale

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Dale,

Ok. It sounds like you have partition 2 spanned across 4 disks in LDM or SFW.  When you delete partition 2 the 4 disks are returned to an unused status that are available to use when you recreate partition2.

SFW does not have an "unspan" but the "delete volume" option sounds like it is what you are referring to.  Don't forget to backup your data prior to deleting partition 2.

Thanks,

Wally

Mister_D
Level 3

Is there a way I can speak with you?   ...for this issue only.  Can we do a 1 time chat or something?

thanx, 

Dale

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Dale,

You can always open a case with Symantec Technical Support and speak to one of our Support Engineers.  I'm in the US Support center for SFW and if the TSE is not able to resolve your issue then they can reach out to me directly.

Thanks,

Wally

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Dale,

LDM = Logical Disk Manager - it is built into the Windows OS for disk management.

SFW = Storage Foundation for Windows.  This post was made in the support forum for Storage Foundation for Windows.

I hope this helps.

-Wally