Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32-Bit Exchange tools on DA Server

Aaron_Mears
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
EV2007 SP5 ~ DA2007 SP5

You can't export from Exchange to a PST without a 32-bit box + Outlook + 32-bit Exchange 2007 tools. Then you can run export-mailbox to a PST.

The latest compatability guide says:

Note: Exchange Management Console (the management tool with Exchange Server 2007) is currently not supported on any version of the Enterprise Vault server. To archive from Exchange Server 2007, install Exchange System Manager for Exchange Server 2003 on the Enterprise Vault server. Outlook 2003 is also still required on the Enterprise Vault server, even if all of your target Exchange servers are running Exchange Server 2007.

Can someone help to color in this picture a little bit.

I don't want to split hairs, but does this restriction include a DA server that is not 'running' any EV services (yes it has the binaries), is this rule only for EV servers with tasks, or storage services?  We need to export custodian data to PST from Exchange and in some cases import it into EV.  With Exchange 2007 everything is 64-bit.  We are trying to use some automation to run the exports so we really can't use an administrators workstation.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Aaron,
Yes, since it is a dedicated DA server and EV doesn't actually have to have the Admin service running for DA to work properly there should be no issues.

Obviously I can only give you my opinon and if you want the official feel good from Symantec you should open a case and get support to give you a "Yes".

Cheers,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
You need outlook installed on your DA Server but not ESM and this is not even needed on the ev server anymore. The only reason why you would install ESM is if you wanted to use the inherited permissions feature.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Aaron

Outlook should be sufficient, and you should get it to work on a 64-bit box, too.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

DJ_Kim
Level 3
Employee Accredited
If you want to export items as PST usin DA Export function, then you only need OUTLOOK regardless of EV version, Exchange, or DA version.

Joon Kim 

Aaron_Mears
Level 4
Thank you for the replies, especially the clarification on ESM with inherited permissions.  I do have Outlook 2003 - SP2 on the DA server, but I also have the Exchange 2007 Shell and Console (+PowerShell) for the purpose of exporting Exchange 2007 mailboxes (Export-Mailbox –Identity ‘alias’ –PSTFolderPath <path to where PST should be created>).  I use the Exchange "export-mailbox" to get the mailbox contents for a new custodian, as well as adding them to the list of users to be journaled.

My question centers around if this is a supported config since latest compatability guide says: Exchange Management Console (the management tool with Exchange Server 2007) is currently not supported on any version of the Enterprise Vault server.  Is it OK to load the Exchange Shell, but not the Exchange Console...and...does the restriction apply to a dedicated DA server.

Thanks again.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Aaron,
Yes, since it is a dedicated DA server and EV doesn't actually have to have the Admin service running for DA to work properly there should be no issues.

Obviously I can only give you my opinon and if you want the official feel good from Symantec you should open a case and get support to give you a "Yes".

Cheers,

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Do you need any more assistance with this? If a post solved your problem, can you mark that as the Solution? Thanks & Regards Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.