cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few shortcuts remaining after exporting archive back to mailbox

ReneBue
Level 0

Dear Community
We are running Enterprise Vault 11.01 for one of our customers who is moving to another provider and because of this the migration scenario is exporting the EV archives back to the users mailbox.
After export we noticed that there are a few shortcuts still left in the user mailbox and the customer is now stating that this must be fixed in away. As far as I see the remaining shortcuts are "duplicates", means the item is restored successfully but in addition an EV shortcut still exists.
The Retention Category is set to "Retaine items forever"
Can you please let me know if there is a way to fix the remaining shortcuts in mailbox?
Many thanks and best regards
René

7 REPLIES 7

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

if you are dealing with an issue in a single or select mailboxes you can use the advanced search for the message class and delete the items.

You can also use a PS script that is floating arround on how to delete shortcuts via EWS

Perhaps the easiest and best is to change the policy for the user to expire shortcuts agressivly and let EV do it for you system wide as you migrate users.

Can I ask about the scale (users/total data) and how your efforts in restoring all the mailboxes are going?

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

to add something here, when dealing with just a few mailboxes we usually create a search folder that lists all messages in the mailbox with the message class IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut. You can delete all of them from there. 

For the rest I recommend following what Prone2Types said.

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

Hi, 

I am in the same situation, where I need to remove some duplicate shourtcuts from a user`s mailbox and cannot find the proper way of cleaning them. 

So far I have tried the cmdlets below to enumerate the IPM.NOTE.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut and then to delete them. Despite the fact that the mbx has ~ 25.000 shortcuts, Exchange only saw 2.

-> Get-mailbox -identity usermailbox| Search-Mailbox -SearchQuery "IPM.NOTE.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut" -EstimateResultOnly

RunspaceId : 25ae91be-0560-434c-8f6e-e6458b90f599
Identity : domainname/Services/Global/Users/Displayname
TargetMailbox :
Success : True
TargetFolder :
ResultItemsCount : 2
ResultItemsSize : 17.61 MB (18,464,189 bytes)

-> Get-mailbox -identity usermailbox | Search-Mailbox -SearchQuery "IPM.NOTE.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut" -deletecontent

Deleting content from mailboxes domainname/Services/Global/Users/Displayname
[Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All [?] Help (default is "Y"): a

RunspaceId : 2e54e647-0926-4f84-9903-6939089217ec
Identity : domainname/Services/Global/Users/Displayname
TargetMailbox :
Success : True
TargetFolder :
ResultItemsCount : 2
ResultItemsSize : 17.61 MB (18,464,189 bytes)

Any help is highly appreciated!

Many thanks!

GertjanA

Hello Lorena,

For the remaining shortcuts, are these indeed having the correct Message Class? If you perform the search you listed for IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.* (i.e. find every item which has IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.something) how many are then reported?

I use the Powershell cmdlet found here: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Removing-Messages-by-e0f21615

to remove all shortcuts from a mailbox.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan, 

Thanks for the link to the script :) I came across it some months ago and was actually looking for it today, but could not find it :) I thought it might be helpfull in this situation, of shortcut cleaning. 

The stub that EVault leaves in Outlook, after the item is arhived, is a IPM.NOTE.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut message class, as far as I know. So, related to this, the only searches that I did, was an Advance Search in Outlook like explained here -> https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Archiving-and-eDiscovery/Showing-Message-Class-Information-in-Outlook/ba-... (by February_Man) but there was no result, which is pretty weird, because all of the items in this mailbox are archived (~ 20.000).

Second search was by using the PS cmdlet provided in my previous comment, where only 2 shortcuts were found. 

Do you know any other way or checking if those items are indeed this message class?

Many thanks!!

GertjanA

Hello Lorena,

If I recall correct, in Outlook, you can change the view to show the messageclass of the items. That should show if items are indeed EV shortcuts. 

Regards. Gertjan

Prone2Typos

modern outlooks may call it type and it is best seen when grouping is enabled so you can collapse all and see what message types you have in a folder.

Other more complicated ways exist too if you like a challenge :)