cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A journal mailbox has a backlog of messages in its inbox

Usuph_2
Level 3

Hello All,

We installed EV 2007_SP2 for Exchange 2003 Sp2 archiving, everything is ok. Mail Archiving and Journal Archiving is working. but I need help for the old Journal Mailbox in Exchange. the size of this Journal Mailbox is about 285 GB and there are nearly 6 million mails in this mailbox. We wanted to archive this Journal Mailbox with Journal Archiving option but we couldn't. We got the alert as 'A journal mailbox has a backlog of messages in its inbox'. How can we archive this old Journal Mailbox, I tried to archive it as a user mailbox but I couldn't. what can you advise on this issue.

Kind Regards,

Yusuf.

6 REPLIES 6

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yusuf

Hope this helps:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275950.htm

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Usuph_2
Level 3

Hello Michel,

I tried it but again I got the same error. It couldn't solve our problem :(

MichelZ
Level 6

Hi

In the Journal Mailbox, do you see "pending archive" shortcuts?

Or only message which are not archived yet?

On an average system, EV does archive 1.5 GB/hour, so this could really just take time.

Is the EV Server at 100% CPU?

Can you have a look at the Message Queues, are they filling up?

I suspect this Message is only an info message, and that he really is archiving the stuff...

Cheers

Michel

Usuph_2
Level 3

Hello Michel,

Now another problem started, when we start the mail archiving, exchange store.exe becomes %100 and exchange server stops. I think we have problems is Exchange server, what can cause this problem do you have any idea, one think I saw there wasn't any free space on the data disk of exchange, we started to empty some free space in it. and also what can cause anything other to make store.exe as %100, what can you advise.

For the journaling the old journal mailbox, we know that it will take a long time to archive, but we have to do it. EV server cpu is normal there is no problem, but always we get this error message '  There was a problem accessing a network service or resource. The dispenser will be-queue the current item and sleep for 10 minute(s). ' this is a new installation but I think because of the Exchange problems we get this errors, is there anyway to archive this old journal mailbox. I know it doesn't start when I check from vault store usage the archived mail number is 0, it doesn't increases.

what can be the steps in this situation. what can you advise us.

Kind Regards,

Yusuf.

MichelZ
Level 6

Yusuf

Seems like EV is overloading your Exchange Server.

Does it only happen when you try to archive the Journal Mailbox, or does it go to 100% when you do "normal" archiving, too?

I would do the following right now:

Adjust the Settings of the EV Journaling Task (Right Click, Properties on the Task -> Settings)

Adjust to only 1 Concurrent session, and maybe 500 items per Pass.

This should take some load off of Exchange (And archiving will be slower, too, of course)

(Do the same on the archiving task, if necessary)

Then, when you start the Journaling Task, have a look at the Message Queue:

Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Message Queuing -> Private Queues, have a look at the numbers for the journal task queues. Are they growing? Which ones are growing?

As for the Space needed by Exchange:

Exchange fills up it's Logs when you are archiving large sets of data, because it "replaces" the Messages with other Messages. Best is to back up Exchange/Transaction Logs regularely

Cheers

Michel

Usuph_2
Level 3

Hi Michel,

we created e new journal mailbox and at the moment Journaling is working there is no problem. but when we start the normal mail archiving then it becomes 100%. First we archived 5 mailboxes and it was really very slow. now we stopped the archiving task and the journal task for the old Journal mailbox. our friends working on exchange to improve the performance and solve the problem.

in message queuing it seems normal there are jornal archives and mail archives but most of them is 0 and one of is 1 and one mailbox archiving is 4 and the others are 0.

and also we can try to Adjust to only 1 Concurrent session, and maybe 500 items per Pass.

Regards,

Yusuf.