Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abnormal content

Alex_Lau
Level 3
Partner
Hi all,

When I double click an achieved item, the message body display abnormal. Then I switch to use the browser search, the whole mail is showing in normal(see the attached file), but when I click ‘View whole item‘, result return to display abnormal content (i.e. using outlook to view). I had already tried to rebuild the index. This case occurred in some messages only.

Any idea?

Thanks!!!
16 REPLIES 16

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
hmmmm,

Your post does not make much sense.  Enterprise Vault does not touch the msg, which you are viewing that seems to be gibberish.  Look at the original msg and see if that is corrupt.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Try export the message to .msg and see how it looks in Outlook

Maybe the source file has been corrupt but when it was first archived it was OK and the index was populated correctly hence thats why it looks ok in the preview.

Exporting the email to a .msg file and opening it with outlook to see how it looks will tell you if the sorce is good or bad

MichelZ
Level 6
Strange thing. In which language was this e-mail? What was the language of Outlook this mail was written/received in? Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Alex_Lau
Level 3
Partner
Thanks for you guys response.

Wayne and Liam,

We already tried export the file / search and open the DVS file, same result occurred.

MichelZ,

The content is written in English.

Hi all,

According to the attached file, browser search can find the result and show the original message, just wondering how it display the content and where did it store?

Thanks

Alex_Lau
Level 3
Partner

Restore from backup is the only way to recover the message?

Thanks.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Alex,

As I said in the first post Enterprise Vaul does not modify the MSG, so I doubt that a restore would ifx the issue.  If you want to try and restore that would confirm if Enterprise Vault did modify the msg.

Please let me know the outcome :)

Alex_Lau
Level 3
Partner
Wayne,

Thanks for your help.

I want to make clear one thing, which is when I search the item via Symantec Enterprise Vault Web Search page, it will list-out the result for selection. When I click one of the items in the list, it will then open the content of the message. What I want to know is where does this content come from? 1) DVS file 2) Shortcut stored in Exchange or 3) Somewhere else?

Thanks

MichelZ
Level 6
It does come from DVS/Saveset on the EV Server.

Alex_Lau
Level 3
Partner
Thanks MichelZ.

If so, then just liked what you said before - It really strange! As you can see the attached file in my first post, content is showing normally when We open the link (unless I click the "view whole item" button or directly double-click the shortcut in MS Outlook). When I check the DVS file, it also showing abnormal content.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Well that depends,

It can be a html rendition or the original .msg file, dependent on how you have setup Enterprise Vault. But both items are in the .DVS file. Maybe if i give you a Arching in a nutshell it would make more sense let’s try:

Arching Task connects to Exchange using MAPI
Takes a copy of the message eligible for archiving (.msg)
Generate a html rendition from the .msg
index the html rendition of the message
compress the html rendition and the message using zlib (.dvs)
You end up with index and dvs written to disk and some SQL metadata

Thats it in a nutsell, not compleete but basic.

So the contents of a DVS would look like this:

V1 Saveset (pre v8)

V1.1 Saveset (V8)

Alex_Lau
Level 3
Partner
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your kindly explanation. In this case (refer to the attached file in my first post), source (content) showing in the searching result page is not the same in the page that when user click the "view whole item" button?

Thanks. 

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
so to me the index looks OK the html rendition looks OK but the .msg looks corrupt....

MichelZ
Level 6
Could you try to restore the DVS file from an old backup and see if it was always corrupt?

Alex_Lau
Level 3
Partner
Finally, our supervisor log a call to Symantec Service Support for further investigation and how to prevent it happen again.  Once I get any update, I will post it for sharing.

Thanks you guys warmly recommendation and help.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Alex, NP

Keep as posted please, and mark as resolved once done.

Alex_Lau
Level 3
Partner
The browser is showing you the html converted version which was generated at the time of archival. This is not coming from the DVS file itself.

The DVS file itself cannot be recovered. The only option to correct this issue is:

If you have original emails in past exchange mailbox backups you need to restore the affected emails to the mailbox and re-archive them again.

These DVS files cannot be fixed.