cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied error when creating new FSA archive folder

Vikes_2
Level 6

Hello,

I am working on a dev env and when I attempt to create a new folder on a volume I get :

Failed to save or update details for folder "\" in the directory service.

Could not mark the folder with File System Archiving information.

Access denied.

This is EV 9.0.4 on a W2k3 SP2 x32 server the license is good and working in another env without issue. Perms are good and checkout in deployment scanner. I have checked firewall and it is off. One other thing to mention, the server I am creating the folder for is a DC but since the VSA is a domain admin in this env that should take care of the perms. Can you guys think of anything else I am missing?

Thanks,

Travis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried using the FQDN?  I know I have seen this before but can't recall the fix.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling

Have you seen this article:

Unable to add an Enterprise Vault (EV) File System Archiving (FSA) folder

Article:TECH203585  |  Created: 2013-03-06  |  Updated: 2013-03-06  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH203585

Grab the dtrace as instructed in the TN and see what it says.

Vikes_2
Level 6

Hey Tony,

I did run a dtrace earlier looking for another error that you had mentioned, that one was not there but let me check this one.

I will get back on this error!

Thanks

Travis

Vikes_2
Level 6

To clearify, the other error was mentioned in a different thread some time ago. I thought there could be a relationship so I checked and it was not the same issue. I am downloading streams into the lab now. Will update shortly.

Travis  :)

Vikes_2
Level 6

Hey Tony,

After running the streams cmd I got "no files with streams found"..

Bummer I was hoping that was it.. I cannot think what else would be causing this issue, but very much appreciate the help!

Travis

TonySterling

Can you attach your trace?  We can take a look.

Vikes_2
Level 6

Hey Tony,

I noticed this in the trace..

258    13:42:06.410     [3360]    (mmc)    <3456>    EV-L    {FileServerManagementStub.KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.IFileServerManagement.MarkRootFolder} Exception: Malformed UNC path|Parameter name: \\DC1\home Info: Diag: Type:System.ArgumentException ST:|Server stack trace: | at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Common.VaultPath.GetPathRoot(String path)| at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.Attributes.GetAlternateStreamFileName(String folderPath, String propsFileName)| at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.Attributes.GetXmlReader(String folderPath, Boolean readAsAlternateStream, String propsFileName)| at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.FolderAttributes.Load()| at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.FileServerArchiveManager.KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.IAdminClientManagement.MarkRootFolder(String fileServerEntryId, String volumeId, String folderPath, String rfEID, Boolean remove, String reserved)| at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)| at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)| at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)|Exception rethrown at [0]: | at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)| at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)| at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.IAdminClientManagement.MarkRootFolder(String fileServerEntryId, String volumeId, String folderPath, String rfEID, Boolean remove, String reserved)| at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.FileServerManagementStub.KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.IFileServerManagement.MarkRootFolder(String fileServerEntryId, String volumeId, String folderPath, String rfEID, Boolean remove)

TonySterling

Have you tried using the FQDN?  I know I have seen this before but can't recall the fix.

Vikes_2
Level 6

Tony,

Is there anything you don't know?? I deleted the target and re-added it with the FQDN and it worked..

You rock! :)

Thanks,

Travis