Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to Domino archived items after Exchange migration

Mark_Clardy-USA
Level 2
Partner

All,

We have just completed a migration from Domino to Exchange.  If a user wants to search their Domino archive, can they do this from Outlook in any way?

Or do they need to do a browser search to localhost/enterprisevaultdomino/search.asp?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

After the shortcut is migrated from Domino to Exchange via an third pary application such as Binary Tree.

Then the EVDominoExchangeMigrationTool is run against the Exchange mailbox.

Then from Outlook if I select "Search Vaults' I get to the integrated search screen.

In the "In Vault" field I have a drop down.

The first is user1 and the second is user1/symantec. The first being my Exchange archive and the second being my Domino archive. So I am able to search both the Exchange archive and the pre-existing Domino archive.

When you migrate items from EV for Domino to EV for Exchange only the EV for Domino shortcuts are migrated via Binary Tree or Quest. Then once in the Exchange mailbox you would run the EVDominoExchangeMigration Tool to fix up the shortcuts so that the appropriate mapi properties are applied to the shortcuts and they can be retrieved from Outlook.

It is important to note that the items in the archives are not moved. Once migrated the user will have two archives. The existing Domino archive and the new Exchange archive. The evdominoexchangemigration tool will fix up the previously domino shortcuts and make them usable in Outlook.

So when you retrieve the shortcut from Outlook it is actually still pointing to the Domino archive and gives the end user a Mapi rendering of the item.

A migrated user will actually have access to 2 archives so you would have to select the appropriate archive to perform a successful search. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You could try creating a folder in Outlook and setting the homepage to the domino url

It would be similar to what is discussed here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/archive-explorer-folder

I don't know how well it would work, but worth a shot.

jim_leggett
Level 6

After the shortcut is migrated from Domino to Exchange via an third pary application such as Binary Tree.

Then the EVDominoExchangeMigrationTool is run against the Exchange mailbox.

Then from Outlook if I select "Search Vaults' I get to the integrated search screen.

In the "In Vault" field I have a drop down.

The first is user1 and the second is user1/symantec. The first being my Exchange archive and the second being my Domino archive. So I am able to search both the Exchange archive and the pre-existing Domino archive.

When you migrate items from EV for Domino to EV for Exchange only the EV for Domino shortcuts are migrated via Binary Tree or Quest. Then once in the Exchange mailbox you would run the EVDominoExchangeMigration Tool to fix up the shortcuts so that the appropriate mapi properties are applied to the shortcuts and they can be retrieved from Outlook.

It is important to note that the items in the archives are not moved. Once migrated the user will have two archives. The existing Domino archive and the new Exchange archive. The evdominoexchangemigration tool will fix up the previously domino shortcuts and make them usable in Outlook.

So when you retrieve the shortcut from Outlook it is actually still pointing to the Domino archive and gives the end user a Mapi rendering of the item.

A migrated user will actually have access to 2 archives so you would have to select the appropriate archive to perform a successful search. 

Mark_Clardy-USA
Level 2
Partner

Jim,

thanks....I just verified this as well...I am running the shortcut conversion tool.  Both of the users' archives are now showing up in the search window in Outlook.  I have noticed that the conversion tool fails 10-30% of the items it attempts to convert.  It also appears to take a good deal of time to go through each mailbox.

Do you know of a way to default the search window in Outlook to use "All Vaults" or is this only available in the search.asp page?

Thanks

jim_leggett
Level 6

One suggestion I can give you is to run multiple instances of the evdominoexchangemigration tool if you have multiple mailboxes to run the tool on. This might speed up your migration, some people even script it if you are any good at which I am not.

The other suggestion I can give you is if you are on EV 9.0 SP1 or SP2 is to make sure you run orphaned shortcut deletion on the Domino mail files before migrating them to Exchange. This is especially true if you have been on EV for Domino for sometime and have storage expiry turned on. So prior to EV 9.0 SP1 there was storage expiry available, but no orphaned shortcut deletion, which mean it left orphaned shortcuts in the users mail file. So if you were not aware once you went to EV 9.0 SP1 or 2 you might migrate your orphaned domino shortcuts over to the Exchange mailbox.  To make matters more difficult if you ran the EVDominoExchangemigration tool with the switch -po default or some other exchange policy the orphaned shortcuts will fail to get converted in the exchange mailbox and this will generate event ids for each subsequent Exchange archiving run against the mailbox.

Depending on Exchange Mailbox policy setting it can take longer depending on what the setting are.

So what I can suggest is if you have already migrated from domino to exchange and the tool fails to convert some items try running the tool with the switch -po none. It may convert the shortcut under certain circumstances but will not have a policy assoicated with it. In which case if its an orphaned shortcut it doesn't matter.

But the more prudent route would be to try the evdominoexchangemigration tool again and dtrace this process. You should be able to search the failed message by subject line and see why they are failing to convert.

As far as an "All Vaults" option in integrated search I am not aware of any, but I will take a look.

You are correct that it is standard in Browser Search.