Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing EV operations when users are in roaming mode

Goltrek
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi to all, and regards,

We have a customer that is evaluating to buy Enterprise Vault for their Lotus Domino 8.0.5 platform. They have a headquarter and several branch offices (about 15). Users in roaming mode, (I mean, users that are not connected to LAN neither WAN with their Lotus Domino mailboxes server.
There are about 5000 users in roaming mode. There are other 4500 users that works with connection to Domino Server on Local Site.
Users in roaming mode have a Lotus Notes configuration file to define the Location. Normally, users in roaming mode must to select the Location depends on if they are working in the office whith a local Dominio mailbox server (Local Mode) or if they are working in a location without a Domino mailbox server (Roaming Mode).
In march, we install Enterprise Vault to a Proof of Concept.
Ok, until here, the scenario explanation, now I want to share with you where is the problem.

When users in roaming mode select the configuration file that defines they are working disconnected from the Domino mailbox server, the Lotus Notes client works with a Replication schedule. Obviously, they have a local replica of their mailbox database. Also, when they are working in roaming mode, all the options from the Enterprise Vault menu, dissapears. If users in Roaming Mode, change the configuration file to establish the Local location, then the Lotus Notes client connects with server and all the options for Enterprise Vault comes back.

This behavior, prevents the users to search, archive or restore an email document from the EV vault. The costumer wants to grant the users with capability to archive, recover and looks for mail messages transparently, regardless of whether the mail is in the vault or not.

I'm some familiar to Lotus environment, but I cannot understand why this occurs with EV.

Your help will be very valuable for us. We have a very restrictive deadline for a response to the client: May, 31-2010
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What version are you using for EV, 8 sp3 or sp4?

Have you enabled them for Vault Cache for Domino?

From the Setting up Domino mailbox archiving.pdf

About Vault Cache
Vault Cache provides a local cache of archived items. Vault Cache performs the following functions:

Gives a user instant access to archived items, even when the user is not connected to the corporate network.

Is in addition to the normal, online archive.

Is useful to mobile users who use laptop computers.

Additionally, Vault Cache may be useful in normal offices if you need to conserve bandwidth or improve performance. The improvement is because archived items are retrieved on the local computer.

When the Vault Cache is enabled for an archive, Enterprise Vault downloads copies of items to the Vault Cache database on the user's computer.

Enterprise Vault automatically synchronizes Vault Cache with the archive once a day. If new items have been added to the archive, copies of these are then downloaded to Vault Cache. If the there is no connection to the archive, the synchronization happens automatically the next time a connection is detected.

To minimize the number of items that need to be downloaded to the Vault Cache, items that are due to be archived soon, are automatically added the Vault Cache. This feature is called preemptive copying.

When a user who is working offline opens a shortcut in Notes, the local copy in the Vault Cache database is opened.

When new items need to be downloaded to a Vault Cache database, copies of the items are gathered together and held temporarily in the Vault Cache before being downloaded to the user's Vault Cache.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Goltrek
Level 4
Partner Accredited
There are somebody with expertise on Enterprise Vault + Domino in this group?

TonySterling
What version are you using for EV, 8 sp3 or sp4?

Have you enabled them for Vault Cache for Domino?

From the Setting up Domino mailbox archiving.pdf

About Vault Cache
Vault Cache provides a local cache of archived items. Vault Cache performs the following functions:

Gives a user instant access to archived items, even when the user is not connected to the corporate network.

Is in addition to the normal, online archive.

Is useful to mobile users who use laptop computers.

Additionally, Vault Cache may be useful in normal offices if you need to conserve bandwidth or improve performance. The improvement is because archived items are retrieved on the local computer.

When the Vault Cache is enabled for an archive, Enterprise Vault downloads copies of items to the Vault Cache database on the user's computer.

Enterprise Vault automatically synchronizes Vault Cache with the archive once a day. If new items have been added to the archive, copies of these are then downloaded to Vault Cache. If the there is no connection to the archive, the synchronization happens automatically the next time a connection is detected.

To minimize the number of items that need to be downloaded to the Vault Cache, items that are due to be archived soon, are automatically added the Vault Cache. This feature is called preemptive copying.

When a user who is working offline opens a shortcut in Notes, the local copy in the Vault Cache database is opened.

When new items need to be downloaded to a Vault Cache database, copies of the items are gathered together and held temporarily in the Vault Cache before being downloaded to the user's Vault Cache.

Goltrek
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks a lot Tony,

In fact, we're using Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP3.
Now, I'm testing in a client computer I can find that with Vault Cache, the user can search in the Vault stored locally on their workstation. That's Ok. But, in the user's database (also stored locally) the user has not the option (In the menu MORE) to Archive messages or to Restore messages from the vault to the Mail Database.
In Online Mode, the options from the menu are:
Enterprise Vault - Search
Enterprise Vault - Archive (Missing in Island Mode)
Enterprise Vault - Cancel
Enterprise Vault - Retrieve (Missing in Island Mode)
Enterprise Vault - Help
Enterprise Vault - About...
In Island Mode, the options from the menu are:
Enterprise Vault - Cancel
Enterprise Vault - Search
Enterprise Vault - Help
Enterprise Vault - About...
(NOTE: I translate options to English, because the Lotus Notes language is Spanish)
Thanks again, I hope you can help me with this new doubt..!

TonySterling

Sorry for the delay in my response but that is expected functionality when offline with Notes I believe.