cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing OWA 2003 via WebVPN

Saqib_A__Shamsi
Level 4

Hi,

I'm looking for some info on the working of OWA 2003 extensions. I've read the guides, but am still confused. We have an Exchange 2003 Backend server, no frontend and are using EV 8.0 SP4. OWA works perfectly fine internally, we can open the shortcuts and access archive explorer and search. But when accessing from outside via VPN, we are having issues.

Now to get a clearer picture of how the extensions work, I would like to know when we open an archived item in OWA 2003, does the item open through Exchange, or are we accessing the item directly? As in, would I have to create a firewall rule to allow access to the EV server as well and what ports are required? For accessing the Archive explorer and Archive search, yes we would need the rule, that is pretty logical. But how do the shortcuts work? I've seen a few policy settings for OWA in the desktop policy, but am confused with those as well.

My basic requirement is to use OWA from outside via VPN, and to be able to open the archived items from the shortcuts.

Regards,
Saqib

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_Shorehill
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

HI,

EV OWA 2003 doesn't connect directly to EV. It uses IIS virtual directories to pass through the information. I would say the issue resides somewhere in IIS on your Exchange server. Possibly firewall/ISA restrictions.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ben_Shorehill
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

HI,

EV OWA 2003 doesn't connect directly to EV. It uses IIS virtual directories to pass through the information. I would say the issue resides somewhere in IIS on your Exchange server. Possibly firewall/ISA restrictions.