cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active User count for Journal Mailbox v10.0.3

Jaime_baligod
Level 2

Good day, Folks!

Need help in getting the Active Users  in EV 10.0.3. We are not using this EV for Journal Archiving anymore as it has already been migrated to O365 and archiving is currently disabled. However, the customer wanted  to continue the renewal of license and i am to provide the current active users so we can gauge the quantity of license we will purchase.

SQL scripts or EVLA tool would be helpful to get the information i needed. 

EV Version: 10.0.3

Windows 2008 R2

See attached file for other info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Jaime,

This is an interesting one. In theory, licensing is as follows:

For mailboxarchiving, 1 license per active USER mailbox (number of FTE basically). For Journalarchiving, 1 license per mailbox which is archived. MBX archiving license is for instance not necessary for groupmailboxes. If you have 100 FTE, and 700 mailboxes, you need a MBX license for 100, and a JNL license for 800.

But, in your customer's case, as you are NOT archiving anymore, only 'maintaining', that changes the licensing. I assume the license is for 'support and maintenance'. Support is going to give you problems, as EV10 is not supported anymore... I would contact the Veritas Licensing department, see what they can offer.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Jaime,

This is an interesting one. In theory, licensing is as follows:

For mailboxarchiving, 1 license per active USER mailbox (number of FTE basically). For Journalarchiving, 1 license per mailbox which is archived. MBX archiving license is for instance not necessary for groupmailboxes. If you have 100 FTE, and 700 mailboxes, you need a MBX license for 100, and a JNL license for 800.

But, in your customer's case, as you are NOT archiving anymore, only 'maintaining', that changes the licensing. I assume the license is for 'support and maintenance'. Support is going to give you problems, as EV10 is not supported anymore... I would contact the Veritas Licensing department, see what they can offer.

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

since you are not archiving anything you should not need the license anymore, from my point of view.

Active Users are all users that provide archiving content for Enterprise Vault since this is not the case anymore you will not need a license.

But thats is if you interprete the licensing model word for word, it could be different from Veritas point of view.

If you want to get support you will need to upgrade and get in contact with Veritas.

This SQL Statement will give you the mailboxes within the connected exchange servers, you could connect the query to anotherto  view how many archived mails were archived within X days, to see there are is no archiving process running.

SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(MbxNTUser) AS 'active users'

FROM ExchangeMailboxEntry

WHERE (MbxArchivingState = 1) --you will have to change this with journaling state

and mbxdisplayname not like 'Test%'

and legacymbxdn not like '%/cn=mbx%'

and mbxdisplayname not like '%removed%'

and mbxdisplayname not like ''

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

not sure if there is an own value for journaling now that I think about it

Thank you for your suggestion guys. I think it is best to discuss this with the licensing team on how to go about with the current situation. 

Regards!