cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Exchange 2010 DAG server to Enterprise Vault 9.0

Mario_VU
Level 4
Hello,

i have upgraded our Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP4 server to version 9.0.
Now I want to add our Exchange 2010 servers for archiving.
It consists of 2 MBX servers, MBX1 and MBX2 with an alias MBXDAG1 for DAG functionality.
How do I add our servers in Enterprise Vault? When I try to add MBXDAG1 I get the message that it can not find the exchange server.
Do I need to add the 2 MBX servers (MBX1 and MBX2) seperately? Do both server need a system mailbox?

Mario
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Mario,

Are your 2010 servers on SP1? That is a requirement.

If you read the manuals, you will see that you need to add a task for each server. Hence, add both servers to EV. There has to be a systemmailbox in the active DAG. EV will 'know' which DAG is active, and archive that one. If it fails, EV will 'see' that, and start archiving from the other DAG.

Page 26 and further of the setting up exchange archiving pdf (for EV9 obviously):

To ensure that the mailboxes you enable for archiving are always available to Enterprise Vault, you must set up archiving for all the DAG member servers. You must also target all the DAG member servers within one Enterprise Vault site. When all DAG member servers are set up for archiving, database and server failovers do not interrupt mailbox archiving.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA
Hello Mario,

Are your 2010 servers on SP1? That is a requirement.

If you read the manuals, you will see that you need to add a task for each server. Hence, add both servers to EV. There has to be a systemmailbox in the active DAG. EV will 'know' which DAG is active, and archive that one. If it fails, EV will 'see' that, and start archiving from the other DAG.

Page 26 and further of the setting up exchange archiving pdf (for EV9 obviously):

To ensure that the mailboxes you enable for archiving are always available to Enterprise Vault, you must set up archiving for all the DAG member servers. You must also target all the DAG member servers within one Enterprise Vault site. When all DAG member servers are set up for archiving, database and server failovers do not interrupt mailbox archiving.

Regards. Gertjan

Batmanfail
Level 4
Is your Exchange 2010 at SP1?

Mario_VU
Level 4
Hello,

the servers are at SP1 level.
I wil add all dag member servers to our Enterprise Vault server.

Thanks Mario

Dataway
Level 4

GertjanA - when you said, you need to add a task for each server i.e. MBX01 and MBX02; what tasks you are talking about, Mailbox Archiving Task, Provisioning Task, PSTs Tasks etc.?

Does it require to match the tasks for both the DAG members?

SYM-AJ
Level 5

This is most confusing !!

I am EV9 with EX2010 SP1 and an exisitng EX2003 where all 1200 users currently reside.  I am happily archiving the journal and mailboxes from the EX2003 environment.  I am now trying to add in the EX2010 SP1 environment and then start migrating users.

Regarding the EX2010 SP1 environment I have three mailbox servers in my DAG - one active and two passive.  I understand from the documentation and above that I need to set up a mailbox archive task (and Journal archive task) for each of the three servers involved, and EV9/EX2010 will only process archiving from the active server.  However, how can I add the passive servers as when I try to add them and need to specify the Vault System Mailbox, there are no mailboxes showing on the passive servers (only on the active one).  If I can't add the server then I can't add the task !!

The documentation keeps pointing back to P26 of the Setting Up Exchange Archiving maual, but this just states that you must set up the tasks for each server.

At present I am thinking I need to create the system mailbox once within EX2010, which will then be replicated to the two passive servers, and then setup the tasks.  But as above, if I can't see the mailbox on the passive servers how can I add them ?

I am now going round in circles - any advice ??

AJ.

GertjanA

Hi AJ,

Can you open a new thread in the forum for this?

Thanks.

Regards. Gertjan

SYM-AJ
Level 5

New Post Created in this Forum to handle this issue.

AJ.