cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Index Servers / Index Server Group to Existing Environment

RGrigg
Level 2

I have a question regarding the introduction of new index servers / index server groups, to an existing EV deployment.

After index servers are setup and the new index server group has been added / configured, what is the "best practice" recommendation for the existing indexing services that are already running on the existing EV archiving servers?  After closing all of the old index locations, can the indexing services on the archive servers be stopped and thier startup mode be safely set to "disabled"?  I haven't encountered this question before.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the feedback.  I completely agree with what you've suggested.  I'm hoping to be able to test this before configuration before configuring in production.

thanks once again for your input!

Rick

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi rick,

Theoretically, you can only stop the indexing if the indexes on the local servers are not used anymore right? This means you need to keep these running. It might be possible to move the existing index-locations into the ISG, but that is something I have not come accross either.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi there,

"Yes", that is the question that I'm pondering as well.  The indexing services are actually no longer required on the archivng servers.  I've never attempted to move them to the ISG - in fact, I'm not even sure if it's possible to do this.

Have to see if I can simulate this on a UAT environment somewhere.

Thanks for your response!

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

If I would want to stop indexing on the old server I would make sure that there are no more pending items there (archiving report) and the EV queues are empty, to avoid any old links to the old index.

I would also move the index location the ISG to avoid any relation to the old index and improve the logical overview. Also easier to backup, less mandatory connections needed.

Thanks for the feedback.  I completely agree with what you've suggested.  I'm hoping to be able to test this before configuration before configuring in production.

thanks once again for your input!

Rick