cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding another Exchange server (problems encountered)

NameTaken
Level 4

Good afternoon,

We have an Exchange 2003 server working just fine with EV10; we're in the process of upgrading to Exchange 2013, so in the interim we have installed an Exchange 2010 server.  We created a new Journal mailbox on the 2010 server, and created a new Journaling Task on EV - but I cannot get it to synchronize.  The error received when selecting Synchronize is:

Unable to perform synchronization of Exchange Server [exchange 2010 server].  Reason: Task state - Failed

The even log shows ID 41443:

The Enterprise Vault task 'Exchange Journaling Task for [exchange 2010 server]' on server '[evault server]' has failed.

I've run the permissions script on the new server.
I've checked that there's a service mailbox on Exchange 2010.
I've confirmed that the service account has 'send as' rights on the service mailbox.

Can anyone suggest what I should next try, or failing that, some way of getting more verbose error messages?  Thank you in advance for any advice.

Russell.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What i would do is 

1. Log on to the EV Server as the EVAdmin
2. Create a new Outlook profile to the Journal Mailbox on Exchange 2010
3. Ensure that you can log on without being promtped for credentials, if you are, then the permissions are not set correctly
4. Open a command prompt and CD to your Enterprise Vault install directory
5. Type "DTrace" and press Enter
6. Type "set JournalTask v" and press Enter
7. Type "set AgentClientBroker" and press Enter
8. Type "log C:\JournalFail.txt" and press Enter
9. Minimize the command prompt window
10. Restart the Enterprise Vault Services
11. Attempt to manually synchronize the Exchange 2010 Journal Mailbox
12. As Soon as it fails go back to the command prompt window
13. Type "Exit" to close the dtrace
13. Review the dtrace log file, search for the error you got in the pop up and go backwards from there

My guess is something in the permissions is still not right or the the throttling script wasn't run etc
The EVAdmin has a mailbox hosted on Exchange 2010, correct? because for the scripts to be effective, the mailbox must reside on Exchange 2010

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What i would do is 

1. Log on to the EV Server as the EVAdmin
2. Create a new Outlook profile to the Journal Mailbox on Exchange 2010
3. Ensure that you can log on without being promtped for credentials, if you are, then the permissions are not set correctly
4. Open a command prompt and CD to your Enterprise Vault install directory
5. Type "DTrace" and press Enter
6. Type "set JournalTask v" and press Enter
7. Type "set AgentClientBroker" and press Enter
8. Type "log C:\JournalFail.txt" and press Enter
9. Minimize the command prompt window
10. Restart the Enterprise Vault Services
11. Attempt to manually synchronize the Exchange 2010 Journal Mailbox
12. As Soon as it fails go back to the command prompt window
13. Type "Exit" to close the dtrace
13. Review the dtrace log file, search for the error you got in the pop up and go backwards from there

My guess is something in the permissions is still not right or the the throttling script wasn't run etc
The EVAdmin has a mailbox hosted on Exchange 2010, correct? because for the scripts to be effective, the mailbox must reside on Exchange 2010

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

NameTaken
Level 4

Hi, JesusWept.

That's great info, thank you.  I had no issues with logging in to the mailbox from a new profile in Outlook, so I started DTrace and restarted the services.

Obviously, it started working immediately.

I'll pool through the log just in case I can identify what changed, but thanks again.

Russell.