cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new SAN disk in EV

Aaron_Heid
Level 4
We are importing historical exchange pst files into EV but we are running out of disk space. We have just added 500GB drive and another 100GB drive for indexing. How do I now let Enterprise vault know to start using the disk and not try inporting into the old disk which are pretty much full.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
> OK, so I should go to the properties of the index
> service and add new index w/new location. Should I
> close out the current one or wait until my disk is
> just about completely full?

You don't want to wait for it to be completely full, as closing the index location will not immediately cause them to start using the new location. From the Admin guide:
"Checking disk space for indexes
If you are running out of disk space for indexes, you can create new index locations for the Indexing service to use to store its indexes. You can add more locations if needed. When you add a new location, the Indexing service may, or may not, choose to use it when creating indexes for a new archive. If you want to force the Indexing service to use a particular location, then use Close Location to close all the other locations, thus leaving just one location open.

When you close a location, you prevent the Indexing service from creating new indexes there. This does not stop the Indexing service from adding to existing indexes, so you must take action before space runs out. "

>
> As far as creating a new partition, I know if you
> create a new opened partition it will close the old
> one. I will still be able to search/view items in
> the closed partition right? Just wanted to double
> check.

Yes, searching will be seamless. :)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Aaron,
The easiest method would be to create new partitions within your vault store, as well as a new index location (pointing to the new disk).

micah

Jill_Jones
Level 4
Aaron-
Assuming you can see the new SAN attached space, can't you just extend your original designated volume with the additional SAN space through the disk management using diskpart (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300415)?
That way you can assign the 100MB additional to your index volume and the 500MB to your storage volume.

From my understanding, the only other way you can choose to vault to a different storage area is to create a new partition under the vault stores and point the new partition to the new space and closing out the current partition using the filled up space.
Hope this helps!
JJ

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Remember kids,
it's worthwhile to keep your partitions smaller then large so that you can close the old ones, run collections (or HSM) against them, and then stop backing them up (once you've got your good copy that is). Large backup windows baaaaaaad, short ones, gooooood. :)

micah

Aaron_Heid
Level 4
OK, so I should go to the properties of the index service and add new index w/new location. Should I close out the current one or wait until my disk is just about completely full?

As far as creating a new partition, I know if you create a new opened partition it will close the old one. I will still be able to search/view items in the closed partition right? Just wanted to double check.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
> OK, so I should go to the properties of the index
> service and add new index w/new location. Should I
> close out the current one or wait until my disk is
> just about completely full?

You don't want to wait for it to be completely full, as closing the index location will not immediately cause them to start using the new location. From the Admin guide:
"Checking disk space for indexes
If you are running out of disk space for indexes, you can create new index locations for the Indexing service to use to store its indexes. You can add more locations if needed. When you add a new location, the Indexing service may, or may not, choose to use it when creating indexes for a new archive. If you want to force the Indexing service to use a particular location, then use Close Location to close all the other locations, thus leaving just one location open.

When you close a location, you prevent the Indexing service from creating new indexes there. This does not stop the Indexing service from adding to existing indexes, so you must take action before space runs out. "

>
> As far as creating a new partition, I know if you
> create a new opened partition it will close the old
> one. I will still be able to search/view items in
> the closed partition right? Just wanted to double
> check.

Yes, searching will be seamless. :)