cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After configuring EV scripts

jacen10
Level 5

After configuring EV scripts and Task Scheduler i finally was able to backup, However, i have this Error:

41261 It is more than 2 days since backup or replication was detected for one or more open partitions.

Open partitions with unsecured items scanned: 1
Total open partitions: 1

List of partitions:
Express Vault Store Ptn1

Items in mailboxes will remain in an archive-pending state.

Example symptoms: archive-pending items remain in mailboxes, leading to calls to your Help Desk from users.

There may be a problem with your backup or replication procedures. Your procedures may have failed or may not have been configured

Any info on how to solve this issue, please let me know. Thankyou so very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How to use a trigger file for devices that do not support the Archive bit when using Enterprise Vault (EV)

Article: TECH35610  |  Created: 2004-01-19  |  Updated: 2012-05-06  |   

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

TonySterling
So you need to check your backup scripts to make sure that partition is being put into backup mode and also taken out of backup mode properly. Can you post your scripts?

jacen10
Level 5

Sure Thing. Thank you:

Pre Backup Script:

%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name SiteName -EVServerName evsrv1 -EVObjectType Site}"
%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Express Vault Store Group' -EVServerName evsrv1 -EVObjectType VaultStoreGroup}"
%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Express Vault Store' -EVServerName evsrv1 -EVObjectType VaultStore}"
%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName evsrv1 -EVSiteName SiteName}"

Post Backup Script:

%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name Sitename -EVServerName evsrv1 -EVObjectType Site}"
%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Express Vault Store Group' -EVServerName evsrv1 -EVObjectType VaultStoreGroup}"
%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name 'Express Vault Store' -EVServerName evsrv1 -EVObjectType VaultStore}"
%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Clear-IndexLocationBackupMode -EVServerName evsrv1 -EVSiteName Sitename}"

TonySterling
Ok, you don't need all those lines in there. Do you just have the one vault store called Express Vault Store? You can just have the one line to put the Vault Store in back up mode. If you run the script manually does it put EV in backup mode and take it out of backup mode correctly?

jacen10
Level 5

Yes, i only have one vault store. The scripts does take it in and out of backup mode too.

TonySterling

So does you backup software remove the archive bit or do you need to use a trigger file?

jacen10
Level 5

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not too familiar with Avamar Backup. I will ask them about this.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

afaik avamar does it flip the archive bit so that Enterprise Vault will detect that a backup has happened.

You would need to use a pre/post backup script to use IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger or PartitionSecuredNotification.

jacen10
Level 5

Great. Any info or links where i can get that info?

TonySterling

How to use a trigger file for devices that do not support the Archive bit when using Enterprise Vault (EV)

Article: TECH35610  |  Created: 2004-01-19  |  Updated: 2012-05-06  |   

jacen10
Level 5

Just FYI, referring to my scripts above,  I am getting these event log when Task Scheduler runs my prebackupmode script:

Successfully set Backup Mode on Vault Store.

Vault Store Name: Express Vault Store

Vault Store EntryID: 1F41613863E8055498A49077F270460E91210000evsrv1

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp?EvtID=7058

Successfully set Backup Mode on all the Vault Stores in the Vault Store Group that are managed by the Storage Service on this computer.

Vault Store Group Name: Express Vault Store Group

Vault Store Group EntryID: 18DAFCD8BC27DFD4C9EEBF995162A8B401013300evsrv1

Storage Service EntryID: 11AF3990FE7A78E448E9B4BA2B2BAFA2B1e10000evsrv1

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp?EvtID=7059

Successfully set Backup Mode on all the Vault Stores that are managed by the Storage Service on this computer.

Computer Name: evsrv1.domain.com

Storage Service EntryID: 11AF3990FE7A78E448E9B4BA2B2BAFA2B1e10000evsrv1

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp?EvtID=7060

These are the only 3. Any event missing that i should have?

jacen10
Level 5

Post Backupmode script event log:

Successfully cleared Backup Mode from Vault Store.

Vault Store Name: Express Vault Store

Vault Store EntryID: 1F41613863E8055498A49077F270460E91210000evsrv1

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp?EvtID=7079

This is the only event log i see.

TonySterling

Those events look fine but like I said, you don't need all three as any one of the three will put your vault store in backup mode.  It's sorta of like leaving a voice mail for someone, texting them to let them know you left them a voicemail and then emailing them to let them know you left a voice mail and sent them a text.  wink

jacen10
Level 5

LOL!!! Thank you. I'm glad my script is working. I guess more research in Triggerfile. Man, this is not getting easier...

jacen10
Level 5

I'm not understanding the trigger file creation according to the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35610

Do i just create a text file in the vault partition name:IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt? and i'm done?

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Tell EV to check for a trigger file, as outlined in the technote.

Restart the storage service.

Create the .txt file in the root of each partition to be backed up. 

In your *pre*-backup script, add in the line(s) to delete the renamed trigger file(s) - (which the storage service will automatically rename with the extension .old - after the post-backup script has run)

In your *post*-backup script, add in the line(s) to re-create the trigger file(s). As outlined in the technote.

Re-read the technote to ensure you're placing those lines in the correct location.  

jacen10
Level 5

Thank you. I'll try this out.

jacen10
Level 5

Thanks, think the backup is working properly now. There are some items that are still in unsecured. Is that normal?

TonySterling

Possibly, depending on it you are journaling and when your archiving schedule run, manual archiving, etc..

How many items are you talking about?

jacen10
Level 5

Hi, sorry for the late reply. It cleared up somehow after several backups. Thank you.