Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After disable and remove archives (Leavers) the space koms not free. EV7.5

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello,

I've removed some archives becouse i have a serious space issue on my storage.
After i disabled and removed some archives with the EV GUI ( ca 40 GB), the space koms not free on my storage.
Do i need do something first so that the space koms free on my storage?

Thx for helping me in forward!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If you do have collections enabled, items won't be put in to a CAB file until the item has been confirmed as backed up within the databases (usually by the archive bit being removed)

The thing is, data growth will always continue, so you will have to look at your retention policies and storage expiry, for instance are you keeping items for too long and thats what is taking up space?

And you can certainly push your Journal Mail to a different vault store and create a new archive in that vault store to seperate that data.

When a Vault Store Partition is closed, essentially it means no new items will be added to the partition, users can read items and they can delete items, but if they hit the store in archive button, then it will archive to the 2nd partitions location instead.

however, data can still potentially grow, for instance if you do have CAB files (Collections) then when a user retrieves an item, it will extract that item to the original location and it will be called ARCHDVS and will only be deleted after the next collection run takes place. If the drive is out of space then the extraction will fail and the user will receive an error.

I guess it all comes down to why are you using Enterprise Vault on users, for compliance reasons (retention, searchability for legal departments) or for keeping your exchange stores smaller?

If its for keeping exchange stores smaller and users mailboxes in smaller, then you have to expect that you will offload the same amount of data that exchange holds , so if you are archiving 100GB"s worth of data off of the exchange server, then you will see similar usage by EV, you are just taking the strain off of exchange and on to Enterprise Vault

If its for keeping it for legal reasons, then you might want to start looking at whether the retention periods being set are reasonable, for instance are you keeping everything for an infinite amount of time thus nothing being automatically deleted? is there room for being able to put less important items on a 1 year hold instead of a 7 year hold?

The fact is though, using Enterprise Vault does take up space, so one of the best recommendations you can take is to upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8 which has the Optimized Single Instance Storage which will really help as it now does SIS at the attachment level. Especially when you consider that Exchange 2010 will no longer support SIS (though Exchange 2010 is supported in EV9 only)

But to be honest, if you're worried about potential growth, data usage and retention etc, you may be best off going for some training and learning about the mechanics of EV and storage or having consultancy come in and make sure your environment is sized correctly for how much data you are archiving etc
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Have you configured your Enterprise Vault partition to use Collections?

Mike

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
When an archive is deleted you will not see any immediate free space Are you using collection?. The reason is that there is a table that maintains an active count of files in the cab file. The dvs files relating to the deleted users archive will be maintained until the number of dvs files marked for deletion falls below a certain threshold (10%). At that point the product will delete the cab file and remove all of the DVS files marked for deletion. The remaining active dvs files will be rolled up into a new cab file

Damon_Kaswell
Level 4
Employee
Because of how long it can take for deleted archives to free up space, you would probably be better off purchasing a new drive, closing the existing partition, and opening a partition on the new drive.

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hoi,

I am not sure i use  "Collection", where can i check this.

can you explain a little bit more:
"The dvs files relating to the deleted users archive will be maintained until the number of dvs files marked for deletion falls below a certain threshold (10%)"

Can i force this process to delete the cab and dvs files

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi,

about how many time do we talk?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
When to Enable collections a set of Dvs file is collected in a cab file ... so if you have that enable ,the DVs files for a specific user might be in different Cab file so it does not reclaim the space immediatly

JesusWept3
Level 6
Collections are enabled on the properties of the partitions that you have configured, but really that is usually the reason why items may not be freeing any space.
but really i agree with damon, regardless of the time it might take to free up space, 40GB is not going to by you much time in the long run before you're in the same position

Collections, Sparse collections, expiry and deletion can get unfortunately complex , and then when you take in to account items might be SIS'd, they won't be deleted if another user is sharing the same item, so you might delete a bunch of items, but if they're being shared between multiple users, then those items won't go anywhere

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited
We backup with Veritas net-backup and the backup policy for EV_NDMP has been failing for a while now.
Is it possible that this have  an impact on my issue.
I just ask to be sure.

If i understand it correct, we need to closed the partition (Storage drive) and create an new partition.
what happen with the availability of the archived mails on the full drive who is closed then?
What can i do so that i'm not run in the same situation with the new drive.
Is it possible to separate "Journaling".

I know i have a lot of questions and i'm grateful that you guys will helping me.
Thx a lot!

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hai,

when falls the the number of dvs marked for deletion?
Sorry my stupid questions but i try to understand how EV handle this all.

Thx,

JesusWept3
Level 6
If you do have collections enabled, items won't be put in to a CAB file until the item has been confirmed as backed up within the databases (usually by the archive bit being removed)

The thing is, data growth will always continue, so you will have to look at your retention policies and storage expiry, for instance are you keeping items for too long and thats what is taking up space?

And you can certainly push your Journal Mail to a different vault store and create a new archive in that vault store to seperate that data.

When a Vault Store Partition is closed, essentially it means no new items will be added to the partition, users can read items and they can delete items, but if they hit the store in archive button, then it will archive to the 2nd partitions location instead.

however, data can still potentially grow, for instance if you do have CAB files (Collections) then when a user retrieves an item, it will extract that item to the original location and it will be called ARCHDVS and will only be deleted after the next collection run takes place. If the drive is out of space then the extraction will fail and the user will receive an error.

I guess it all comes down to why are you using Enterprise Vault on users, for compliance reasons (retention, searchability for legal departments) or for keeping your exchange stores smaller?

If its for keeping exchange stores smaller and users mailboxes in smaller, then you have to expect that you will offload the same amount of data that exchange holds , so if you are archiving 100GB"s worth of data off of the exchange server, then you will see similar usage by EV, you are just taking the strain off of exchange and on to Enterprise Vault

If its for keeping it for legal reasons, then you might want to start looking at whether the retention periods being set are reasonable, for instance are you keeping everything for an infinite amount of time thus nothing being automatically deleted? is there room for being able to put less important items on a 1 year hold instead of a 7 year hold?

The fact is though, using Enterprise Vault does take up space, so one of the best recommendations you can take is to upgrade to Enterprise Vault 8 which has the Optimized Single Instance Storage which will really help as it now does SIS at the attachment level. Especially when you consider that Exchange 2010 will no longer support SIS (though Exchange 2010 is supported in EV9 only)

But to be honest, if you're worried about potential growth, data usage and retention etc, you may be best off going for some training and learning about the mechanics of EV and storage or having consultancy come in and make sure your environment is sized correctly for how much data you are archiving etc

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello JesusWept2,

Thx a lot for this excellent explanation!
This helps me to understand the situation.
Also thx to all who've taken the time to help me.

I've suggested to close the partition and separate journaling from mailbox archiving on each an own drive. To prevent that this situation happen again i've suggest to use an retention period. (at this moment no retention period is set)
I've recommended to do this with an Symantec engineer and in the meantime an upgrade from 7.5 to 8.0 sp3. ( upgrade to 8.0 was anyway planned since a while)
For me personally I've asked to do an EV training. (hope it makes me wiser)

This forum is great! :)

Kind regards,
Loko32