Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another EVConverterSandbox issue...

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Hi together,

I have a server here which has repeating performance problems. In the Daytime there where a lot of EVConverterSandbox.exe (15+) processes which use overall all processor performance (RAM is ok). As far as i know this process converts the archived contents to html.

But i´m wondering why it runs at this time. The mailbox archiving is running at night. The Backup Mode ends in the early morning. A few hours later when the users start to work more and more processes of the evconvertersandbox are starting and the server becomes slower.  

We´re also in a pst import project right now. But also when this PST Collect&Migrate Tasks are stopped this processes are starting up.

I´ve already reduced the following values to reduce the workload but whithout succes:

Services > Enterprise Vault Storage Service > Advanced > Archive processes: New value: 3

Server > Properties > Cache > Maximum nuber of concurrent updates: New value: 4

Server > Advanced > Storage > Maximum concurrent active connections: New Value: 10

So... Can you help me to understand why this process is running at the daytime and how to reduce the amount of running processes?

EV 12.0.2, VMWare, Windows Server 2012 R2, 2Ghz (1 Socket, 8 virtual processors) (i know: not the optimum but i think this should not be a real problem here)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jakob,

It could be the file types that are being converted causing an issue.  Are there any issues reported in the Enterprise Vault Converters Event Viewer log?  

The conversion is fairly CPU intensive so large files and certain file types will have an impact.  This process should only be occurring during archiving and then indexing of new items typically.  

Regards,

Patrick 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi mate,

To me, it seems that the server is not able to complete the indexing during the archiving window, and it continues throughout the day.

How many users are you archiving? And how much data roughly?

I've seen similar scenarios addressed by increasing the number of vCPUs/cores.

--Virgil

Hi Jakob,

It could be the file types that are being converted causing an issue.  Are there any issues reported in the Enterprise Vault Converters Event Viewer log?  

The conversion is fairly CPU intensive so large files and certain file types will have an impact.  This process should only be occurring during archiving and then indexing of new items typically.  

Regards,

Patrick 

Also, the converters were updated in 12.0.3 and the latest version is 12.0.4-  http://www.veritas.com/docs/000115861

Regards,

Patrick 

Hi,

thank you for your answers.

The mailbox archiving task is only running 30 minutes. We only run the automatic archiving for a very small amount of users. The main part of the server is pst migration. Maybe it´s realy a backlog ot this migrations. But i´m wondering why this convertion processes run in the daytime also when no tasks are started.

I will plan the update. In the log there are a few xml items listed which run in a timeout. This items seems to repeat. We have excluded xml now from the conversion and it looks good now. I will update this topic tomorrow again.

Do you have an idea how to find out the size of an item which is listed in the conversion log file?

Regards

Jakob

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

As long as there are items awaiting indexing then they will need to be converted.  You can check the vault store database for items by running the following query:

SELECT count(*) FROM JournalArchive
WHERE IndexCommited = 0 

This will be the number of items that have not yet been indexed.  

The size of the item is in the SavesetProperty table as OriginalSize, however the SavesetIdentity of the item would need to be know in order to retrieve this information.  Knowing the Idtransaction of the item will allow you to query the Saveset table and get the SavesetIdentity to use in the SavesetProperty table. You could get this from EV Search by adding the SSID column and using the last set of numbers to create the idtransaction.  For instance, if the SSID is similar to the following(first portion shortened)

####~####~Z~91498B42792DE9FC46023970F8D95E61  

The idtransaction would be 91498B42-792D-E9FC-4602-3970F8D95E61

Regards,

Patrick 

Nice... i will check the items with this help

Thank you

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

after making some changes in the Conversion (excluded xml and p7s files, decreased timeout and maximum size) the performance is still high but the system overall is running normaly. Thank you for your help. I will adjust the settings for timeout and maxumum size again after updating EV to > 12.0.2.