Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antivirus Exclusions for EV 10.0.3

Sridhar
Level 3

Hi - 

I'm looking for Antivirus Exclusion for Enterprise vault 10.0.3 for Exchange 

I've reffered http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48856  here i can find only folders to be exclude however i need more detail about file types Processes

Your assistance really appreciated.

Thanks

/Sridhar

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sridhar, why do you need information about file types/processes?  You just need to configure your virus scanner to exclude those folders completely.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello Sridhar,

Adding the folders from the technote should be enough for regular archiving. However, if you really want to exclude the Enterprise Vault processes, you could add every single exe file from the Enterprise Vault installation directory since, eventually, any exe file could be used by Enterprise Vault. Again, adding the folders from the technote TECH48856 should be OK:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48856

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Sridhar
Level 3

Hi - 

I'm looking for Antivirus Exclusion for Enterprise vault 10.0.3 for Exchange 

I've reffered http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48856  here i can find only folders to be exclude however i need more detail about file types Processes

Your assistance really appreciated.

Thanks

/Sridhar

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sridhar, why do you need information about file types/processes?  You just need to configure your virus scanner to exclude those folders completely.

_r___
Level 6
Certified

The article seems very straightforward on what needs to be excluded? What else were you looking for regarding file types and processes?

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

If you let us know which Anti Virus solution you are using I'm sure someone on the forum will have experience of it and be able to advise if there is anything other than the normal exclusions you need to be aware of

Sridhar
Level 3

hi -

I'm using microsoft System center 2012 Endpoint Production.

the Antivirus engineer requires for add processes & file types.

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

If a list of all processes is required simply go to Task Manager, click on the processes tab, ensure "Show processes from all users" is ticked then sort by User Name and you will see all the processes the service account is running. Give those to your antivirus engineer and you should be covered for EV specific processes.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello Sridhar,

Adding the folders from the technote should be enough for regular archiving. However, if you really want to exclude the Enterprise Vault processes, you could add every single exe file from the Enterprise Vault installation directory since, eventually, any exe file could be used by Enterprise Vault. Again, adding the folders from the technote TECH48856 should be OK:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48856

I hope this helps.

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

This could be a case of your antivirus engineer being over zealous. Try just adding the folder exclusions first and monitor performance.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is there anything else needed on this issue?

NigelN
Not applicable

The reason for wanting to know what processes and/or file types are used is because this reduces the risk of a malware attack.  I'm also wanting to know these, too.

Simply excluding an entire directory is bad practice - as malware will lie undetected during On Access Scanning.  If the process is used instead, then we can stop any scanning of files by that process - irrespective of where they are on the server.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

im curious if anyone actually did the process exclusions. sounds like quite a "process" to configure.