cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a DEFINITIVE guide to getting Virtual Vault to work with Exchange 2007 Outlook Anywhere?

JayScovill
Level 4

I've been going through the mish-mash of conflicting information trying to piece together a workable solution and it's escaped me so far.

Can anyone tell me definitively what settings with respect to Exchange Deskop Policies, web.config entries, etc are needed so I can get Virtual Vault in an Outlook Anywhere session?

My current state is that I have the the Outlook -> "RPC over HTTP Connection" setting set to "Direct"
My "RPC over HTTP Proxy URL" is set to my external address for OWA/Outlook Anywhere.

With it set to "Direct" I do not get any Virtual Vault in Outlook and when I launch Archive Explorer it tries to use the internal FQDN for the Vault server.

With it set to "Use Proxy" I do not get any Virtual Vault in Outlook but Archive Explorer, etc uses the correct external URL for OWA/Outlook Anywhere and I can browse my archives.

So what do I have to do to get the Virtual Vault to show up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JayScovill
Level 4

Well, it figured that I would see what I was doing wrong right after I posted.  It actually had nothing to do with those settings.  It was simply that I was using Outlook Anywhwere logged onto a different email address than the user account I was logged on to Windows with.

So I found out by accident that you need to be logged onto Windows with the same user account that the Vault Cache is configured for if you want it to show up in Outlook.  Makes sense I guess.  But it rules out home users on their own PCs having access to their Vault Cache.  But at least they can still use the Archive Explorer.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JayScovill
Level 4

Well, it figured that I would see what I was doing wrong right after I posted.  It actually had nothing to do with those settings.  It was simply that I was using Outlook Anywhwere logged onto a different email address than the user account I was logged on to Windows with.

So I found out by accident that you need to be logged onto Windows with the same user account that the Vault Cache is configured for if you want it to show up in Outlook.  Makes sense I guess.  But it rules out home users on their own PCs having access to their Vault Cache.  But at least they can still use the Archive Explorer.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
mark it as solved :)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146