cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Architecture recommendation for multi exchanges & network shares (on different network segments)

Asterisk
Level 3
Partner
Hi,
I have 2 exchange servers that provide e-mailing for different groups within my company. Also have NetApp filer with MultiStore license that enables running shares on different network segments.
I wonder what is the recommended architecture of EV in the following terms:
1. keeping separation with the archives (from security reasons).
2. Central management

I thought of running single EV server and create a specified db and vault store for each target (where target is exchage server1, exch2, network shares1 on segment-1, network share2 on segment-2...)
Is this promises a total security separation?
I am aware that the SIS will be very poor, but the security separation is mandatory.

Optional consideration is running specified EV againts each target while having single EVsite.
There is not too much performance impact of running the EV servers as virtual servers since the load is very small per "target'
In terms of unlimited issues with the Vmware licenses, I realy don't see additional costs but the central management issue.

The SIS issue will be poor in this case also.

Can someone advice?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Asterisk,

Firstly, there are large banks I have done just this for, final design was put in last week Friday. You are in luck :) Enterprise Vault v8 sheds a lot of light on your issues.

How I would do this is as follows:

1) Create one Vault Store Group (Called "Company Name")
2) Create two separate Vault Stores (Called "Company Group")

Enterprise Vault v8 has OSIS between Vault Stores now, as long as they are within the same Vault Store Group.

There is no issues what so ever archiving data from two different Exchange Servers on one Enterprise Vault Server and spitting them up into different "company groups", I am doing just that for different legal entities.

As for performance impacts, it would be the same using one Enterprise Vault server going into the same Vault store or splitting it up into two separate Vault Stores.

Create two different policies, one for each group.
Create two different retention categories, again one for each group.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
If you proceed the way you are planning then if you create different vault stores for each as planned but keep all of the vault stores in a single vault store group then you can maintain SIS performance because SIS is accross all vaults within a vault store group

This is as long as you use EV 8

Regarding the option to create two seperate VM's, this will also work but it is wasted resources and money. You can maintain security seperation on a single EV server.

Also seeing as you are going to buy new hardware why not go with Windows 2008 with HyperV (ensuring that your new hardware supports the VT technology). If you get the enterprise license for Windows 2008 you also get included 4 licenses for Windows installs (standard) so for the price of Windows 2008 Enterprise you can install 4 VM's without having to purchase additional server licenses. Then all you need is an SQL license and your backup software

If you get VMWare you have the VMWare costs and you also have the server license costs

If i'm wrong someone please correct me

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hi Asterisk,

Firstly, there are large banks I have done just this for, final design was put in last week Friday. You are in luck :) Enterprise Vault v8 sheds a lot of light on your issues.

How I would do this is as follows:

1) Create one Vault Store Group (Called "Company Name")
2) Create two separate Vault Stores (Called "Company Group")

Enterprise Vault v8 has OSIS between Vault Stores now, as long as they are within the same Vault Store Group.

There is no issues what so ever archiving data from two different Exchange Servers on one Enterprise Vault Server and spitting them up into different "company groups", I am doing just that for different legal entities.

As for performance impacts, it would be the same using one Enterprise Vault server going into the same Vault store or splitting it up into two separate Vault Stores.

Create two different policies, one for each group.
Create two different retention categories, again one for each group.

MichelZ
Level 6
Do you need any more assistance with this? If a post solved your problem, can you mark that as the Solution? Thanks & Regards Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.