cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive an Exchange Mailbox to multiple EV Archives

arnoldmathias
Level 4

Hi All

I have an EV archive which has more than 20 million emails in it and to speed up searches for recent emails, we wish to archive the corresponding Exchange mailbox into a new EV archive starting from 01-Jan-2018.

On 01-Jan-2018 we will be running the following command everyday prior to synchronisation so that no mails younger than 31-Dec-17 are archived to the old archive. This will only restrict archiving but not access to the archive, so the user can still search the archive.

Set-EVExchangeMailboxPolicy -Name "ArchivePolicyName" -MinimumArchiveAge (New-TimeSpan -Start 01-Jan-2018).Days -MinimumArchiveAgeUnits 0

Subsequently, on about 5-Jan-2018 we shall disable the mailbox from archiving to the old archive and then enabling the mailbox again to create a new archive. In effect, the user would be able to view two archives in EVS, the old/dormant archive and the new archive which includes emails from 01-Jan-2018 onwards.

Question: Will the user still be able to retrieve and then restore archived items from the old/dormant archive (archived prior to 01-Jan-2018) by double-clicking the corresponding shortcuts in the Exchange mailbox?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

When u re-enable the mailbox for archivng, there is a option called "Deselect Archive" on bottom right (see attached pic), click on that option, it will create a new archive automatically...

regards,

patrickkuah

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Interesting situation.

To answer your question. As long as the user has access to the old archive, shortcuts will retrieve as usual. The shortcut contains the reference to the archive, and therefor will retrieve the item.

No catch here as far as I can see.

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you @GertjanA

I shall try these steps in the first week of January and hope it works well.

patrickkuah
Level 6

Hi,

As long they have access to both archives, it will work just fine. User will still be able to retrieve emails via shortcuts for old archive (even it is diabled for archiving) and new archive...

Thanks

patrickkuah

arnoldmathias
Level 4
Hi All

I have disabled archiving for the mailbox using the VAC. How do I create a new archive for the same mailbox? When I try and enable mailbox archiving, the VAC suggests that the archive already exists.

Hi,

When u re-enable the mailbox for archivng, there is a option called "Deselect Archive" on bottom right (see attached pic), click on that option, it will create a new archive automatically...

regards,

patrickkuah

Thank you Patrick. This worked for me.