cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive from domino and Exchange to same EV archive?

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have a customer with "read only" domino server (3k mailboxes on it with mails until December 2012) and 3k active exchange server with mails from January 2013 until now.

That means that every user have 2 mailboxes, active one on Exchange and old emails on Domino.

Customer is interested in getting rid of Domino from the environment, and I'm trying to see if there is a way to archive same user mailbox from both Domino & Exchange to same archive.

My guess is that it is not possible.

What would you suggest to do in this case to avoid 2 archives for each user?

Sarah

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Sarah,

I have no experience with archiving from Domino, but my initial guess is that this is not possible.

In the VAC, there is an entry for Domino Mailbox, and one for Exchange Mailbox. That implies there will be seperate archives. YOu might be able to archive the domino mailboxes, and then grant access to the domino archives to the respective users, but that is a long-shot.

I am not sure if it is at all possible to export the domino mailboxes (to PST would be great :) ) so you can import them using PST-import, but that seems to be not possible. There seem to be some converters commercially available, but that obviously has a pricetag.

You could archive Domino to a seperate EV-install (VM, SQL and EV on same box?), then export the archives to PST, then import them again in the live EV environment?

Perhaps check with a partner, or your Symantec contact what other options they know of.

Regards. Gertjan

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Gertjan,

I am not that familiar with Domino archiving myself, but like you, I think it will be 2 separated archives.

I will bring all options to the customer and we will continue based on his decision.

Sarah

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just to verify what you guys are saying, yes, there would be to archives.  The following technote lays out the process if you wanted to migrate the user from domino to Exchange

How to migrate Enterprise Vault users from Domino to Exchange

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64767

Note: Each user will have two archives, the original Domino mail archive and a new Exchange mail archive. Migrated shortcuts behave as Exchange MAPI objects, but point to archived items stored in the Domino mail archive. 

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Tony,

unfortunately they are not migrating, and each user have a mailbox ob both Domino & Exchange, meaning they will have 2 archives each...

MassimoVagli
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Sarah, 

So you are saying that at the moment the customer is using two mailboxes and two different mail clients, Lotus Notes and Outlook.

Speaking of Domino / Lotus Notes this is actually in 'read only' as I suspect they are just for retrieving and EV Search purposes.

Here you have two options: 

1. Migrate from Domino to Exchange and convert the migrated items with the utility EVDominoExchangeMigration.exe; this will allow the customer to see and retrieve old Domino archived data from Outlook, in the EV Search you will open from Outlook the users still will see two archives (native from Outlook / Exchange and the legacy from Domino)

2. There are third party migrators able to migrate from EV Domino archives directly into EV Exchange archives so the Exchange / Outlook users will have just one archive.

Hope this helps

Massimo