Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive on different vaultstore

Davide_Balducci
Level 3

Hi all,

I'm using EV 10.0.4.

I have a question, is it possible to use for a user archive different vaultstore?

I'm tring to migrate an user to a new ev server with a new vaultstore, but i would be able to leave the old items in the old EV server and vaultstore.

Of course the old items should be available for search and retrieve by the user.

Thanks in advance

Davide

9 REPLIES 9

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What you could do is disable the user from archiving, then enable them again, but pick a different vault store.

I'm not 100% sure you'll then be able to search the old data ... you could test that.

Working for cloudficient.com

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

You should be able to do this by disabling and re-enable the mailbox as Rob mentioned. If the new EV server is on the same EV site or we are talking about two different EV sites but in the same domain, you just need to verify that the user has read permissions over the old archive. After that, the user should be able to search against the old one and the new one.

You can also use Move Archive, since this process doesn't remove the original archive, the user should be able to search on both archives but all shortcuts in the mailbox would be updated with the new Enterprise Vault server alias.

I hope this helps.

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

If the 2 servers are in different Sites you'll need to configure WebAppURL in Advanced Desktop Policy Settings

Page 172 of the Admin Guide - http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6588

Davide_Balducci
Level 3

Hi all,

The servers are in the same Ev Site, so there aren't problem of permissions but when i disable and re-enable users the Ev create a new archive for the user that point to the new vaultstore (correct) and the old archive remain unlink to the original user.

Also we have the right permission on it in search page i find two different archive and i do the search one at time.

Thanks

Davide

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I'm not sure that I follow what you're saying in that first paragraph.

You wanted to 'unlink' the user from the first archive right? So that new stuff goes to the new archive?

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Enterprise Vault links one archive to one mailbox. Applying the permissions to the old one will assure that the user can use Archive Explorer or EV search (search.asp) to pull data from the old archive.

Davide_Balducci
Level 3

Hi Rob,

Sorry for may bad english, i want to say that when i re-enable the user, EV create a new archive for the user (empty) that is link to the new vaultstore, the old archive is not enabled for a user.

I think that for EV this archive is orphan, so to search on it i must set the right permission (if it loose permission during the disable operation) and i can search in only through EV search (search.asp) selecting the archive (in the drop down menu).

The best solution seems to be the GabeV one.

i hope to be clear.

thanks

Davide

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Which GabeV one?  The move archive one?

Davide_Balducci
Level 3

Hi Rob,

This solution...

"Enterprise Vault links one archive to one mailbox. Applying the permissions to the old one will assure that the user can use Archive Explorer or EV search (search.asp) to pull data from the old archive."

I hoped that it was possible to link a user to archive split across two vault store but it seems to be impossible like GabV said.

regards

Davide