cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive point at volume vs folder/subfolder

Deric_Soong
Level 2

Hi,

I'm implementing Enterprise Vault 9.0 in our windows file server.

I have questions regarding archive point.

What is the different of creating archive point at volume vs folder vs each subfolder? What is the main function of archive point?

Can I create archive point at volume level if the archived data size can grow up to 1TB?

Here are the folder structure of my file server:

File Server:

\\fileserver.company.com

Volume:                        Folder:                                        Subfolder1

Share1                          Operation Team                         Manufacturing

Share2                          IT Dept

Thanks in advance.

regards

Deric

3 REPLIES 3

Maverik
Level 6

What is the different of creating archive point at volume vs folder vs each subfolder?

There is no difference to be honest, if created at volume level such as \\Fileserver\D% or \\Fileserver\test on a shared folder that becomes your volume for EV.

What is the main function of archive point?

To define each archive.  Each Archive has its own archivepoint.  So if you had three folders named Test1, Test2 and Test3 and each had an archivepoint you would have three archives named Test1, Test2 and Test3.

Can I create archive point at volume level if the archived data size can grow up to 1TB?

Yes though I would recommned that you ensure you have a good understanding of how FSA works.  This whitepaper may help.

http://www.archivingcentral.co.uk/uploaded_files/EV2007%20File%20System%20Archiving%20Whitepaper%202...

Maverik
Level 6

Hi,

Has this answered your questions? If so can you please mark as solved ;)

Deric_Soong
Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

What happen if I delete an archive point?

I read few articles about the archive point where I need to create new archive point if the share is home directory for user.

According to the article, this is to ensure user can only see and search their archive point.

Does this mean if I create the archive point at main folder with few department subfolder, user can see and search all department subfolder?

Thanks