cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive stuck in marked for deletion state

Seth_Weedin
Level 4

Hi,

I recently tried deleting an archive we were using for testing purposes and it appears to be stuck in the "marked for deletion" state.  I checked the event log and saw the event id 7113 which read "The following archive could not be deleted as it contains items that are on hold, retention category does not allow deletions, or a compliance derived retention period prevents them from being deleted."  I tried deleting the archve from the EV server itself as the vault admin and the archive storage folders look to be empty, but the marked for deletion state will not clear.  Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?  Thanks!

Seth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Alex_Key
Level 2
I have solved this problem by means of this article.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Alan_M
Level 6
Have you checked what items might be causing the problem identified in the event log? If you are not using DA then it won't be a hold but as the event log entry states there are other causes and these are much more likely to be the reason for the problem.

Seth_Weedin
Level 4
How would I go about checking exactly what items are causing the problem? I'm not using Disk Accelerator and there is nothing in the event viewer that really pinpoints the specific problem.

Seth_Weedin
Level 4

Hello again,

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing my archive to be stuck in the marked for deletion state?  I've completely run out of options!

Thanks.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When Alan mentioned DA he was referring to one of our acclerator products called discovery accelerator. So if you have this installed you can create searches of mail and place certain messages on legal hold. If you have messages on legal hold which are in the particular archive that you are trying to delete then that will stop your archive from being deleted.

If you do not have DA installed then it cannot be this. What storage are you using as it could be centera retention playing a part here if you have the data stored on a centera.

If you are on NTFS then what I would do is reset your archive back to normal by changing the status in the archive table to go back to a normal state. Not in front of a system at the minute to check this but it will be obvious as all other archives will have the same value (0 I think off top of head) and the one as marked for deletion will have a different value.

Then what youu can do is setup a dtrace of the deletion process and attempt the delete again and this information to the trained eye should indicate where the deletion process is stopping. Again off top of my head I cannot remember the process but storagedelete is probably the process to dtrace.

If you are not comfortable with any of the above procedures then I would receommend opening a support case.

Alex_Key
Level 2

I have same problem - Archive stuck in marked for deletion state. I have changed a state of deleted archives on normal (through SQL-table) and have connected them to myself. I have found in them messages with retention category "Deny delete Items". How I can through VAC delete these archives?

EV 8.0.1

Alex_Key
Level 2
I have solved this problem by means of this article.