cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive task is failing

MikeM-2468
Level 4

EV 10.0.1.1171.  Frequently I find that the archive task associated with one of my Exchange 2010 mailbox servers is failed.  I see nothing in the event logs that mentions the failure.  Restarting the task is always successful.  Is there a powershell script that I can schedule that will alert me that the task is failed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MikeM-2468
Level 4

Symantec support provided this attempted fix:

1. In Regedit,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents.

2. Created a new DWORD Value RemoveEmbeddedAttachments with decimal value of 0.

3. Rebooted the archiving tasks.

So far it is working, but I'll have to monitor it for a few days to see if it is the solution.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

well you're best off finding out why it failed
Typically with Exchange 2010 its because the CAS Server is forcefully disconnecting the EVAdmin account from its session, usually remedied by making sure the throttling script was correctly applied.
You could see on the CAS Servers event logs where it mentions that the EVAdmin has breached one of its policies (for instance TimeSpentInCAS or whatever its called)

Another can be things like CAS Loadbalancers that distribute calls between CAS Servers so that no one exchange server is being overloaded, sometimes that causes issues for EV and other mapi services such as Blackberry Enterprise Server.

You could specify a specific CAS server using the DS Server registry key or by using the ExchangeGCOverride column within the ExchangeServerEntry table in your EnterpriseVaultDirectory database.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I would have thought that there would be an event in the event log indicating why it was failed...

Working for cloudficient.com

Telegram_Sam
Level 4

I had a similar problem following a migration to Exchange 2010 from Exchange 2003.  My issue was caused by a failing GC.  I removed the option to force EV to use the "Closest GC" and also removed the registry setting pointing it at the closest GC and all of a sudden the Archive Task stopped failing.

This may not resolve your issue, but it is worth checking.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Make sure the you have all the required hotfixes isntalled for oulook on the Ev server.There are some hotfixes which are mandatory to be isntalled on the Ev server for oulook 2007 sp2 .

MikeM-2468
Level 4

EV is pointing to a single member of the CAS using a HOSTS file.  I see these error in the EV logs today:

Log Name:      Symantec Enterprise Vault
Source:        Enterprise Vault
Date:          8/16/2012 5:48:30 AM
Event ID:      3432
Task Category: Archive Task
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      EVAULT.domain.com
Description:
One or more errors occurred during the creation of a profile to connect to an Exchange Server.

Targeted Exchange Server: MBX02
Mailbox: SMTP:EV_MBX02@domain.com

ConfigureMsgService failed with the following errors:

Out of memory error has occurred for the following connection points:
DC01.domain.com
MBX02

This indicates that the maximum number of connections has been consumed on this Enterprise Vault Server.
Date:          8/16/2012 5:48:30 AM
Event ID:      2216
Level:         Information
Description:
Message dispenser will suspend processing for 10 minutes due to a recoverable error

Task: Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for MBX02
Date:          8/16/2012 5:48:46 AM
Event ID:      3305
Description:
The Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for MBX02' failed to log on to Exchange server 'MBX02' using mailbox 'SMTP:EV_MBX02@domain.com'. Please ensure the mailbox has not been hidden, that the server is running and that the Vault account has sufficient permissions on the server.
Date:          8/16/2012 5:48:46 AM
Event ID:      2256
Description:
The Archiving Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for MBX02' could not be started due to startup errors.

I don't see any errors in the CAS server logs.

MikeM-2468
Level 4

Is there a list of hotfixes?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

1. You need to determine if these errors are occuring at these particular times or do your archiving task randomly stop.

2. At these particular times, anything happening on the Exchange servers (CAS and MBX servers) and/or your GC servers? i.e. maintenance or/and server restart etc.

3. As for the EV server, any reason why you are using HOSTS file?

Out of memory error has occurred for the following connection points:
DC01.domain.com
MBX02

If you go to Control Panel and open Mail 32, click on Profiles, do you see a lot of MAPI profiles created by EV? Try clear these out.

The other suggestions above would help your issue too.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

oh...have you run the SetEVThrottling policy for the EV service account yet? I would have thought you'd have done this but just checking.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You can find the hotfixes details on the Compatiblity list/chart - For Outlook 2007 SP2 on EV server section. There should be two hotfixes that you need.

MikeM-2468
Level 4

1.  That's why I was looking for a way to alert on the task failure.  I don't know when it's failing, I can only look for logs after I see it has failed.

2.  no maintenance

3.  We had intermittent communication problems to our CAS array address so we force it to use one.  Same issue with BES and GOOD.  It seems that some things can't deal with Windows NLB. 

Throttling policy is set.  Is there any down side to deleting all of the extra profiles?

MikeM-2468
Level 4

I'm using SP3.  Doesn't appear to be any hotfixes.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

1. Do you have SCOM or some sort of monitoring for EV. EV does not have these features that you are looking for...This will be the key point to your problem.

2. That's fine.

3. ah...If I remember correctly, Exchange 2010 Windows load balancing may not even be supported or it doesn't work well and you have to use hardware load balancing. Check with Exchange 2010 expert/consultant/architech.

Clearing out those windows profile will do you good, they will get recreated when EV task starts to run as they are needed to access the user's mailbox. Hence they need to be cleaned out every now and then.

As for the Outlook 20037 SP3, did you install this from the start of EV settup of was it upgraded from Outlook 2007 SP2? Not that this make a lot of difference to your issue but I am interested as I have seen people upgraded and it caused MAPI issues.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Take a look at this regarding Exchange 2010 Windows NBL.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/high-availability-recovery/load-ba...

Not sure how your environment is setup and configured, basically it is not recommended or at least not suitable. HNBL is the Microsoft recommendation.

MikeM-2468
Level 4

1.  no

3.  It's supported.  And since we're pointing to just one server it would seem to me that NLB isn't part of the equation.

I cleared the profiles.  Outlook was installed from the SP1 media.  Upgraded to SP3 via Windows Updates.  Don't remember if it stopped at SP2 first.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would suggest setting the CAS in the ExchangeGCOverride as opposed to the hosts file

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

So what's the need for Windows NLB if you are only using one CAS server? Just curious...What happens if you remove the Windows NLB to take it out of the issue equation completely as you seem to think that this may be causing this issue and relating to Good and BES as well? 

On your exchange environment I believe you can setup monitoring relating client MAPI connections and connectivities etc. You may have already done so....see from this monitoring results if there is a high usage at a particular time of the day and if they matches the time when the EV tasks are failing.

Also reducing the EV archiving task settings to just one connection per concurrent connection for each task...but this will slow down the round robin of archiving if you have lots of mailboxes per exchange server.

MikeM-2468
Level 4

Aren't the ExchangeGCOverride and DS Server entries used to specify the Global Catalog, not the CAS Server?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I understand the Windows NLB is normally setup to scale/spanning the client connection via TCP/IP, just wondering if it might be worth you add another CAS server and use HNLB due to lots of client connection with BES and Good Technology and god knows what else? of course tis will add cost into this equation.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I am not saying that this will definitely resolve your issue, just my thoughts and opinions from what I can see from a consultancy point of view. Also this will help planning your company growth, more users more client's connections.