cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived Items remain in Archive Pending state

Bobc
Level 4
We've just completed the EV (8.0.1) install and started running a test account for archiving last week. The archiving seems to have gone fine but all the emails are still showing in a pending state (" Enterprise Vault-Pending Item" and "This item is being archived by Enterprise Vault") and have remained that way for the past week. Looking at Doc#281339 Scenario 1 it talks about Exchange System Manager needing to be the same on the Vault server and Exchange, but I cannot find in the installation requirements that ESM even needed to be installed on the Vault server. Also does the Vault Store actually need to perform a back-up for the status for the emails to change (scenario #2 of the same document.) ? I'm guessing the lack for a back-up on the store is the cause but want to confirm the ESM issue.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes, those are for the databases and do not affect the pending items.

You want your backups to occur AFTER your archive task runs, that is why you are seeing the pending items. 

Cheers,

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

TonySterling
Hey Bobc,

Check out the following links:
Enterprise Vault 8.0 - Backup procedures (Associated SQL Scripts)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/320845

312327: Enterprise Vault 8.0 - Backup procedures (PDF)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/312327

your items will remain pending until backup if your safety copy strategy is after backup.

ESM is no longer required on the EV server.

Regards,

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
ESM is not needed

A backup could well be the issue because EV will keep the items in a pending state until a backup has completed

Are there any Event log errors registered ?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Liam,

How can you say ESM is not needed.... There is a lot of misconception's about ESM and EV.  It it needed it you wish to use inherent permissions from Exchange.

TonySterling
This technote should clear anything confusion, if you don't care to sync inherited you don't need ESM on the EV server.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/317725

Details:
Background

The ability to synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users' archives requires ESM to be installed on the Enterprise Vault server.

Note the following:

1. If ESM is installed on an Enterprise Vault server running 32-bit Windows Server 2003, you can still synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users' archives.

2. Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 prevents Exchange Server 2003 ESM from installing, so you cannot synchronize inherited permissions if the Enterprise Vault server uses this operating system.

3. All versions of Enterprise Vault still include the ability to synchronize delegate permissions; that is, permissions set through Active Directory users and computers, or through Outlook folder permissions.

Solution
Microsoft does not support Exchange 2003 ESM on Windows Server 2008 therefore the ability to synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange Server to the user's archive is not available. Install a supported Operating System on the Enterprise Vault Server.

Related Documents:

276547: Symantec Enterprise Vault (tm) 6.0, 7.0, 2007 and 8.0 Compatibility List (includes Partner products) - Updated March 31st, 2009
http://support.veritas.com/docs/276547

Andrew_Neale
Level 4
I had the same problem. It was working fine in 7.5 and then everything remained pending after an upgrade to v8 sp1.
All I've done is stop the storage and indexing services when the backup starts and then restart them after its complete.
Its solved our issue.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 Andrew, thats the way is works in EV8 now if you are not using the Trigger file to check for Backup complete.

You either need to restart the Storage Service or take the Vault stores out of Backup mode.  StorageFileWatch will then kick off a scan.

If you are using the trigger file - the default is to scan for the file every 60 minutes.

Biohazzard
Level 4
I am running 7.5 but when i was testing I wrote a script to just flip the archive bit on the vault store files to simulate a backup.

Bobc
Level 4
Well I initated backup of all the files suggested in the "Backing up Enterprise Vault" technical note but my messages are still showing as in a pending state. The operations manager warnings went away about the files not being backed up so that seems to be working correctly. I'm looking for the setting to ignore backups just to see if that is still the issue or if I have someother confiuration problem here. 

Bobc
Level 4
I think I found the problem. Our backup software was set to do a full backup but NOT clear the archive bit which I'm guessing is what EV is looking for to determing backup status. I'll post if that was'nt the issue.

TonySterling
EV does look to see if the archive bit has been removed before changing from pending to a shortcut.

regards,

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
@Bobc, then you will need to use the IgnoreArchiveBit mechanism, to change your pending items to shortcuts. This is due to the default behavior which tony mentioned above this post.

Bobc
Level 4
Well, now I'm running out of ideas. I ran last nights backup with it set to clear the achive bit which it did. My archived items still show as pending though. The operations manager only had the following warnings:

Number of days since last backup of the vault store database transaction log
(Days) _total 1 1 5 5/7/2009 7:59:32 AM

Number of days since last backup of the vault store database transaction log
(Days) express vault store 1 1 5 5/7/2009 7:59:32 AM

The value of both was 1 day. These are the SQL database transaction logs correct ?

Could I be running into a timing issue where the processes are out of order possibly ? My backup of all the Vault related files is running before any provisioning or tasks run for the evening.

TonySterling
Yes, those are for the databases and do not affect the pending items.

You want your backups to occur AFTER your archive task runs, that is why you are seeing the pending items. 

Cheers,

Bobc
Level 4
Well still no go, not quite sure what is not right but my archived messages still show as pending after a week. I think it might be time to open a case even though I know I'm missing something obvious. Thanks to all the suggestions and information.

MichelZ
Level 6
Have you found a solution for this yet?
Have you tried restarting the storage service?
Are you *sure* that your backup software has reset the archive bit?
Have you set your Vault Store Partition's Backup mode to "Trigger File", instead of "Archive Bit"?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Bobc
Level 4
Would you believe that I had backup mode set on....

Kesavan
Level 3

Kesavan
Level 3
 i had same problem. i set valut store and Index store in backup mode. and then i run ntbackup. then i cleared backmode. now it is working. 

Regards,
Kesavan

JoJoD
Level 3
hi,

i am experiencing this too.  Using EV 8.0.

i have a script to set the store and index to bcckup mode at night before the backup script runs.  then have a script that clears the backup mode in the morning.  strange thing is that it was still kept at a pending state.  i have to restart the storage service to make it work.   do i have to restart it all the time?

thanks.