cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived email is blank in Outlook, fine in OWA for one user

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

I have one particular user who has one particular folder where all the archived messages are displayed as blank pages in the preview window w/ "none" for dates in Outlook 2010.  She sees a list of blank emails.  She's unable to double click on any of them to open them.  If she logs in to OWA and views the same folder, everything is fine. 

If I have her open a message in OWA (to retrieve it from the vault), it's still a blank message in Outlook (after closing and re-opening Outlook). 

When she logs into a different computer and opens Outlook the problem follows her.

We've removed and re-installed the EV Outlook plug-in, but it made no difference (not surprisingly).

We're running EV 9.0.4 on a Window 2003 server.

The user is running Windows 7 and Office 2010.

Anyone have any ideas?

Update:

It looks like she gets the following warning in her App Event log each time she tries to open a vaulted message from the problem folder.  I will start searching on this, but will go ahead and start this discussion in case someone has already dealt with this before.

The content source <mapi://{S-1-5-21-1777997229-774907200-2146756953-2186}/> cannot be accessed.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:

A server error occurred. Check that the server is available. (HRESULT : 0x80041206) (0x80041206)
10 REPLIES 10

Nate_D1
Level 6

A quick thought, does she have the 9.0.4 EV outlook add-in installed? I have noticed some funky issues with users that are a step behind in their updates on occasion.

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

Yes, the end user has 9.0.4.  This issue followed the user when she logged into a different computer.  Plus, it appears to only affect one particular folder/branch in her Inbox.  There are other archived messages in other folders that she can access from Outlook.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Please check the Manage Add-ins in Outlook Trust Center and check whether Enterprise Vault Add-In is disabled or not. If disabled then enale it and then check it.

Regarding that particular folder check the permission in outlook. If that folder is share / delegate from another user , then check the permission for this user.

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

what happens if the user users search.asp or archiveexplorerui.asp and downloads the original item, do they look ok ? 

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

I had the user 2xclick an archived item from that folder to open it in a new window in OWA, then look at it in Outlook, but nothing changed.  I'm going to check the user's folder permissions on that folder later today.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Also check whether that specific folder has assigned permissions or policy by EVPM Script.

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

So I got to spend some time at the user's desk and poke around her Outlook.  Here's what I know:

• Confirmed the plug-in for Outlook is installed and enabled in Outlook
  • The issue is with almost all of her subfolders under her Inbox.
  • Her Inbox and the first subfolder under it are fine.  Messages are displayed and you can open archived messages in these two folders.  The user says "every once in a while" she can find another folder that she can open archived messages from, but this is the exception and not the rule.
  • She can use the "Search Vaults" feature from within Outlook on the EV tab, find messages in a folder confirmed to have the issue and she can open those emails from the search results window within Outlook.
    • Opening those messages does not change how they're displayed in the folder in Outlook.
  • ArchiveExplorer also works
  • If you right click on an archived message that's not displaying correctly in Outlook, you get a pop-up that says "Not implemented"

I looked at her Application Event logs and saw several events from around the time I was testing things out.  The messages below are listed in the order the event were logged. 

"The store C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\EnterpriseVault\EV450E7.tmp is being re-pushed to the indexer for the following reason: Newly created store."

"The store C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\EnterpriseVault\EV450E7.tmp has detected a catalog rebuild"

"The store C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\EnterpriseVault\EV450E7.tmp is being re-pushed to the indexer for the following reason: MAPI Start Page scope version changed."

"The store C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\EnterpriseVault\EV450E7.tmp is being re-pushed to the indexer for the following reason: Index reset (or catalog signature changed), re-push entire store."

"The operation failed."

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you have any client trace while re producing the issue? I am suspecting this could be issue with interactting windows search (not 100% sure) try putting following registry (take backup first).  

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\Preferences]
"PreventIndexingOutlook"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\Preferences]
"PreventIndexingOutlook"=dword:00000001

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

does the user have read/write permissions to their %tmp% location and specifically the files *viewredirect.htm" (evaeviewredirect.htm and evwebviewredirect.htm

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5

I could only find evwebviewredirect.htm in the user's %tmp%, but she does have read/write permissions on this file.