Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived items - icon doesn't change

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Hello all.

I have a puzzle.

SOME, very few archived items never change their icon to archive pending or archive complete.

I can tell that they are archived because:

- in the preview pane they have a blue banner saying that the item has been archived

- when I right-click on the item and go to Properties / Enterprise Vault, the EV icon is shown there, and it says that the message was archived on a certain date

- when I double-click on the message, it opens normally. If I stop EV services and then double-click on the message, only the shortcut body opens

So the message is definitely archived. But it does not look like an archived item.

Any idea how/why this happens?

It is a regular message (not a calendar item ot something like that).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

I think these funky items are really Archive Pending, but for some reason their icon didn't flip to the archive pending icon.

An even more interesting observation with One mailbox.

This is a leaver, and it has a Leaver archiving policy applied to it which does this:

- archive all items older than 0 days

- do not create shortcuts

- delete shortcuts older than 1 day

Well, for the most part all the messages got archived (turned to Archive Pending, then dropped after the backup).

But there were still about 2,500+ items that were Archive Pending.

Plus there were 3 or 4 funky "Normal icon" items with the EV tab showing that they had been archived.

I ran the EV Archiving task in Report mode against this mailbox multiple times - no change, the items are still pending.

I Zapped this mailbox and re-EV-enabled it, then ran the archiving task in Shortcut processing mode, in Archive mode, in Report mode (multiple times) - it wouldn't budge, the pending items are still stuck in pending state.

I EV-disabled the mailbox and then re-EV-enabled it, ran the task whichever way - no change.

I then went and read the EV_ARCHIVING report file [more carefully this time] and noticed this in the last column:

Archiving policy applied

Default Exchange Mailbox Policy

What. The. Hell.

This mailbox is definitely enabled with the Leaver Archiving Policy.   When I right click on the Exchange container under Targets and do "Display Policies Assigned to Maiboxes" and find this user, it shows that this use has the Leaver Archiving Policy.

When I open properties of the Default Exchange Mailbox Policy and click on the Targets tab, the field there is empty.   We do not use the Default Exchange Mailbox Policy with ANY mailboxes.

So EV believes that this user has the Leaver Archiving Policy.   But the mailbox itself (despite all the zapping) somehow believes that it is using Default Exchange Mailbox Policy.

Well, let's test this theory, I thought. Let me go to the properties of Default Exchange Mailbox Policy and check the revert pending shotcuts setting...   Aha, it is set to No.   OK, let's change it to 0 and synchronize the mailbox in question. Done.    And now let's run the archiving task in report mode... Bingo!  it is now processing the mailbox and dropping the pending shortcuts.  And it dropped the "funky items" too.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It sounds like a caching issue on the Outlook client side of things.
If you were to take the user out of cache mode and try again, does it then work?

You sometimes similar things with OWA where you have to do a Send/Receive for the webpage to show that the message class has changed.

It could also be that the messages are stuck in the A1 queue and EV is just not able to connect to the mailbox to change the item from a .Pending to a .Shortcut, but my money is on caching on Outlook

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

you could also try and delete the form cache, close otlk find frmcache.dat and delete it then open outlook see if that aslo helps. but JW comment is garenteed to work too.

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Thanks for the ideas, but Outlook is not in cached mode.

Also frmcache.dat has been cleared.  Plus most archived items are showing correctly.

Nothing stuck in the A1 queue.

I have a feeling EV proceessed the item correctly (and thinks that it processed the item correctly), but at the last moment it wasn't able to reach the Exchange server to change the icon.  But it is not aware of this.

rasobey
Level 5

I wonder if this is because the item was replied to? I manually archived two items: one which had been replied to and another "normal" email. The normal item got the pending>archived item icon, the other item stayed with the replied to icon.

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Do you have Outlook Add-In installed? If so, try to re-install it.

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Perhaps you can confirm the exact message class of the item. 
You can add Message Class (From All Mail Fields) to the columns in Outlook. 

- IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut = EV Shortcut
- IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.ArchiveMe = Initial switch from add-in when performing a manual archive.
- IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.PendingArchive = Archive request made to EV, now waiting for post processing.

It may be an issue with the loaded EV forms on the Outlook system.  Does it follow the user to another box?

Also, in the user's Desktop policy - Advanced - Outlook : Is Deploy Forms Locally set to Always?

Hope this helps.

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you solve this issue. I am certianly on board with the suggestions here (as if me being against them would completely change your direction.....). I have seen the issue the last poster insinueated a bunch... espically in earlier version of the product/forms. 

I am betting that this is a message class thing because I do not think you would attempt to perform an open request if the item were truely pending. ALso I would ask if you were using Citrix or some other app sharing utility that may not be refreshing its cache properly. The fact that you are performing an open request against the items successfully or not depending if the services are running shows that it is a fully archived item and I am betting the message class would match... whcih makes the issue specifically an Outlook issue. I also know there are switches you can launch outlook with which may clear up cached  stuff like this. 

If you resolved this, please let us know how and mark either your own posting or the one that resolved it for you as the solution so that those seeking to help do not attempt to do so in a place where it may not be needed. 

Many thanks 

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Nope, not resolved.

And I am 99.99% sure that this is not a message class issue.

I am also very confident that this is not a cache issue of some sort.   Even the item size is the same as the original, doesn't look like a shortcut at all.

Prone2Typos

Thanks for updating us.

Would you mind closing out the 0.01% and validating that the message class is just an IPM.Note. LIke I was suggesting, the open process works based on scripts based on teh forms that the message class uses. In other words, I do not think this would retireve if the message class were not a full shortcut in practice.

I would also be interesetd if the issue is isolated to the user, user profile, or machine. Can you test the following:

a) Log a known good user into the problematic machine and monitor for issue reproduction?

b) log the problematic user into a known good machine and monitor for issue reproduction?

Can you also select an affected item and supply the Vault Information associated with that item? Providing a full client log while opening the item may help to see hwat is happening upon retrieval that makes a non shortcutted item retrieve successfully too.

Does the same affected issue show with the same pending icon in OWA when you go to look at it?

Ironic to the statement you made related to confidence and cached mode... I have actually seen the size misreport do to a cache issue too.....Not saying it is... just that your observation does not support the claim that it is not.

I have seen a lot of client hiccups but you seem to be ruling out most of the things because you appear to not be in cachemode, not have a message class issue, not have an issue with formcache, not have an issue with the forms themselves, not have a persistant problem, but still have an issue. If you are really seeking to figure out what is going on here... I personally think it is pretty important to not recollect the issue so much as investigate every suggestion so that we can remove the 0.01 percent chance from everything as you seem to be having an issue that affects 0.00000000001 percent of users and that is typicaly thought to be rooted in Gremlins exclusively. I am assuming that you have had no Magui's with late night hunger fits...so that would rule that out.

Thanks again for getting back to us and I look forward to learning what is going on here. 

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Sorry, guys, you aren't quite following me and building your argument on a wrong presumption.

When I double-click on such an item, it just opens normally, like a normal message, because it never became a shortcut - it still has an icon of a normal message, it still has the original item size.

And it is still of item class IPM.Note.

However when I select such an item and hit Alt-Enter to view its properties and then go to the Eneteprise Vault tab, it shows that the item has been archived.

This happens to a number of different mailboxes. And it only affects SOME messages in these mailboxes.

Amit_Dol
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Is the message you are looking smaller in size? EV won't create shortcuts for small size messages.

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

The particular message in the screenshot (the first one in the list of "Message Class: Message" is 53KB.

Also I have been doing EV since 2005. I have never seen EV Not shortcutting small size messages,

Amit_Dol
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Can you archive this email manually and check if shortcut is creating?

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Kind of.

Yes, when I manually archive these items, they change their icon to Archive Pending.

But then within a couple of hours they revert back to the normal message icon, all by themselves.

P.S. I know these items are archived because I traced them all the way to their DVS files, and the Advanced Search also finds them.

Prone2Typos

Hey again.

Thanks for keeping the thread going and sorry for any confusion that there may be in relation to your issue.

I do understand what you are saying. As I am sure you have noted, it is not appropriate to have and EV tab on an IPM.Note message. I think a second key indication of some strange behavior in your environement that was omitted from your recent recap of behavior is that YES it does open when doubleclicking on an item....but if the services are stopped it no longer does.

This last bit is a key piece of information to me. This is because when you double click on an item it is an open request to EV (rather than say a restore). Open requests are facilitated by script executaions that are directly related to the forms installed on EV that are directly associated with teh message class. So.... in my messy head.... what this implies to me is that if you are able to perform an open request there must be some association to the EV shortcut message class... which is assocaited to the forms... which would enable the call to the EV server. Again .. a client log at a point of doubleclick would confirm this behavior and you woudl see the call to the EV server for the item... or not.

Keep in mind that having an item with an archived date alone does not necessarily imply that the item is suppose to be a shortcut. HEre are a couple of theories worth checking out. What is your "Reset Pending Shortcut TImeout" set to?  Is it possible that these items were archived and then did not clear pending in a prompt enough time and were reset from pending despite having been archived successfully? In the same direction, do you permit your users (or this user) access to the cancel operation action within EV ? There are also some third party applications that could reset the message class. . .but I think at this point assuming that one of these were used is a stretch.

So lets assume this is an EV issue for a minute and not a fluke.... You seem to have some level of recurrence ... so that is a valid direction in my opinion. Then you would have to ask questions like: Is there any commonality between the problematic items?; Is the archied date at the same point in time or same points in time?; Are the messages genereated simmiliarily?

I think that there are some unanswered questions earlier in this thread that can still help to understand the issue and that hypothesising further without the answers to the questions can go in too many directions to be considered effective. All I can say for sure is if the open behavior is as I described, then I would use MFCMAPI to start to look at the properties of these messages so that you can see how it is that the EV tab is showing up and you are able to make EV based open requests for items that do not appear to be shortcuts at all.

I hope this helps .

Regards

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

OK, I stopped all the EV services.  Immediately I wasn't able to fully open any shortcut items.

But these weird "normal" items are opening like normal messages just fine.

My reset pending shorcut setting is 0 (only resets when the archiving task is run in Report mode)

Also when I manually reset pending items (I have done this in the past), the "archived" timestamp becomes blank.

Users are not allowed to do any manual operations. They don't even have the EV toolbar in Outlook.

Prone2Typos

I would do a quick test run to ensure the results are the same when you reset the icons via report mode. It should be... but stranger things have been seen. If this does not reproduce your issue... then you are back to digging through the items with Outlook SPy or MFCMAPI and taking a close look at the affected messages to see if you can find any commonality between them . I have seen strange stuff with items which were generated as notifications for something.. like by a linux app, or there was a UPS application that came to mine (world view or something like that I think). If you can track down the commonality you may be able to easily find what the difference in these messages to the tons that work are. If you cannot not then you are looking at the needle in the haystack of MAPI properties.

The good news is your last test implies that it is in no way being identified as a message class that is not being seen... but that it was archived and the shortcut creation seemed to be a little off. You may also want to consider changing your shortcut policy. If you are presently using an option other than "customize" then try using it... if you are on a "customize" shortcut policy then try using one of the other options. THere is a differnce in teh way a shortcut body is created when using this option that has been seen to cause some unexepected behavior.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Prone2Typos

I also think you should engage SYMC support if you have not. I think you have a valid issue here which is demonstratable by showing that you have the EV tab and an archived date but not an item archived. I would assume the only time you could see this is if you had it set to not create a shortcut and to leave the original item... something I would have to test.

If you had that config and your testing shows that that does repo the issue... then I think that would be considered the expected behavior. ... if not then I think it is a valid issue wichi will be tricky to track down but they should help and address.

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

I think these funky items are really Archive Pending, but for some reason their icon didn't flip to the archive pending icon.

An even more interesting observation with One mailbox.

This is a leaver, and it has a Leaver archiving policy applied to it which does this:

- archive all items older than 0 days

- do not create shortcuts

- delete shortcuts older than 1 day

Well, for the most part all the messages got archived (turned to Archive Pending, then dropped after the backup).

But there were still about 2,500+ items that were Archive Pending.

Plus there were 3 or 4 funky "Normal icon" items with the EV tab showing that they had been archived.

I ran the EV Archiving task in Report mode against this mailbox multiple times - no change, the items are still pending.

I Zapped this mailbox and re-EV-enabled it, then ran the archiving task in Shortcut processing mode, in Archive mode, in Report mode (multiple times) - it wouldn't budge, the pending items are still stuck in pending state.

I EV-disabled the mailbox and then re-EV-enabled it, ran the task whichever way - no change.

I then went and read the EV_ARCHIVING report file [more carefully this time] and noticed this in the last column:

Archiving policy applied

Default Exchange Mailbox Policy

What. The. Hell.

This mailbox is definitely enabled with the Leaver Archiving Policy.   When I right click on the Exchange container under Targets and do "Display Policies Assigned to Maiboxes" and find this user, it shows that this use has the Leaver Archiving Policy.

When I open properties of the Default Exchange Mailbox Policy and click on the Targets tab, the field there is empty.   We do not use the Default Exchange Mailbox Policy with ANY mailboxes.

So EV believes that this user has the Leaver Archiving Policy.   But the mailbox itself (despite all the zapping) somehow believes that it is using Default Exchange Mailbox Policy.

Well, let's test this theory, I thought. Let me go to the properties of Default Exchange Mailbox Policy and check the revert pending shotcuts setting...   Aha, it is set to No.   OK, let's change it to 0 and synchronize the mailbox in question. Done.    And now let's run the archiving task in report mode... Bingo!  it is now processing the mailbox and dropping the pending shortcuts.  And it dropped the "funky items" too.