Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived mailbox migration to different forest

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear Experts,

We are in process of moving our mailboxes to a different forest. Source is Exchange 2003 and destination is 2010. There is no trust relationship between the forests. The mailboxes at the source are archived using EV 9.0.4. There is no archiving solution at the destination, though  we might use native windows archiving solution.

We can think of two solutions only 

1. Migrating the mailboxes at pst level. Though it will be lenghty and complex process.

2. Converting all mailboxes to unarchived mode i.e. un-archiving the mailboxes and bringing them to native mode. Micrsoft has committed to perform the migration if we achive so.

3. Any other method you can propose. GlassHouse tools are avaialble but it will be the last option.

Regards,

Gulzar Shaikh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I know you can find that info from sql:

SELECT COUNT(*) AS 'Number of Items', SUM(ItemSize)/1024 AS 'Saveset Size (MB)', SUM(OriginalSize)/1024/1024 AS 'Orignal Size (MB)'
FROM Saveset
INNER JOIN SavesetProperty ON Saveset.SavesetIdentity = SavesetProperty.SavesetIdentity
WHERE ArchivedDate >'2008-03-04 22:00' AND ArchivedDate < '2008-03-05 6:00'

Just change the dates.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6

well any of the third party tools whether its QUADROTechs Archive Shuttle or Transvault or what have you will require a trust to migrate from EV -> Destination Exchange Server

But really your easiest option is to export from EV back to the source mailboxes, so then you dont have to deal with a ton of PST files afterwards

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Hi jesusWept,

Please explain to me about exporting from EV back to source mailboxes, how can we do it?

Regards,

Gulzar Shaikh

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Run the Export Archive wizard, choose the option to restore to their original mailboxes

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO37344

Make sure to have enough free space on your exchange environment !

JesusWept3
Level 6

yup, it will explode the exchange databases and the exchange transaction logs, especially if exchange isnt set to do circular logging.

Because i'm assuming even if you were to do PST Exports, you'd use ExMerge to put them back in to the mailbox right?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Thanks a lot.

Is there a way I can determine the amount of space required if I export all the mailboxes to same location. The reporting only gives an idea about current archived size of the store.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I know you can find that info from sql:

SELECT COUNT(*) AS 'Number of Items', SUM(ItemSize)/1024 AS 'Saveset Size (MB)', SUM(OriginalSize)/1024/1024 AS 'Orignal Size (MB)'
FROM Saveset
INNER JOIN SavesetProperty ON Saveset.SavesetIdentity = SavesetProperty.SavesetIdentity
WHERE ArchivedDate >'2008-03-04 22:00' AND ArchivedDate < '2008-03-05 6:00'

Just change the dates.