cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Email from Mailboxes hidden from the GAL

Elliot_G
Level 4

We have a small number of Exchange users who for generally good reasons have had their addresses hidden from our GAL. Trouble is, these user mailboxes are growing in size at a frigthening rate. This is because their mail is not being archived.

I found the Symantec technote on this topic: http://test-inquira.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47252. For us the most important part of the article would appear to be this registry change:

DWORD Value: ProcessHiddenMailboxes
    Value data: 1

(The rest of the article was about a SQL modification to allow hidden mailboxes to be enabled for archiving. All of ours already were active, as they had been hidden after enabling had taken place and in fact had before being hidden already arcived nany nessages).

We had hoped that the registry change (followed by a restart of the archiving task) would do what the reg key suggested - restart processing of the mailboxes. This does not seem to have happened!

Would I be right in guessing that this registry key does not enable scheduled archiving as the task still cannot see the mailboxes? Thus that any archiving would have to be done manually by the user from their client (I have checked and this works). Or I am I just being impatient and archiving during the normal scheduled run will start eventually!

Elliot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

the key should work for scheduled runs as they still will not appear in the run now dialog box in the VAC, though the EV user extensions should be available in the mailbox if installed on the desktop. Have you enabled the mailboxes for archiving though? You may need to unhide the mailbox, provision, enable and then rehide from the GAL to get this working

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

the key should work for scheduled runs as they still will not appear in the run now dialog box in the VAC, though the EV user extensions should be available in the mailbox if installed on the desktop. Have you enabled the mailboxes for archiving though? You may need to unhide the mailbox, provision, enable and then rehide from the GAL to get this working

Elliot_G
Level 4

In fact it did work!  Just took a while to become noticed (as we do not get through our complete mailbox list on each evening run).

Thanks  Elliot