cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Office 365 email using On-prem Enterprise Vault

KhamateeBrown
Level 2

I would like to use on prem Enterprise Vault SMTP to archive email from Office 365. I have a fair idea of how it work but would like to know if it just makes a copy of Office 365 email and stores it in EV or does it pull the email from Office 365 and archives it into EV?

The purpose here is to determine whether the Office 365 mailbox size will reduce once the archive policy is applied.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i wanted to chime in with a simple yes/no since i saw this post still hasn't been marked as solved.

"if it just makes a copy of Office 365 email and stores it in EV"yes. it uses journaling and that's how journaling always has worked.

"does it pull the email from Office 365 and archives it into EV" - no. the email stays in O365. it's just a copy that's sent to your EV server via the journal rule and (send connector.)

"whether the Office 365 mailbox size will reduce once the archive policy is applied" - no. it's a copy.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi KhamateeBrown,

You would want to look at configuring SMTP journaling from O365.  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/123165319-123165378-0/index

This should send the mail to the configured EV server and not use a mailbox in O365. 

Regards,

Patrick 

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

There are two archiving types for O365. Journal Archiving, or user mailbox archving.

See Archiving O365 for more information.

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you for your response. So based on the policies and retention set it will pull the emails from Office 365 and archive it into EV thereby reducing the mailbox size.

Users are already migrated from Exchange to Office 365. As of now users cannot access the already archived emails that were done when Exchange was in the environment.

When SMTP mailbox journaling is configured for Office 365 would they have access to the previous archived emails?

GertjanA

Hello Khamatee,

I am not sure your statement about mailbox size decreasing when archiving is correct. I believe that O365 mbx archiving archives a copy of the item(s), but does not create shortcuts. You might need to have a rule deleting items older than x-days in O365.

See THIS link for starting point on info.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Khamatee,

You may want to take a look at the following - https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100044993.html

Regards,

Patrick 

What I meant to say was does it work just like On-Prem Exchange and EV where based on the policies it would archive the email and place it in the Vault.

Would it work the same way when using Office 365?

Prone2Typos

I think the two prior posters tried to politely let you know that had you glanced at the links provided to you the answer is in it. Having only glanced at it myself, I believe that to be "no". A more in-depth review of provided documenetation would be best (next to searching for it initally) and likely would net you a more accurate result with less effort.

My intention is not crassness as it may seem. I just see a similiar method of communication not being successful and am attempting to be a tad more direct. Please excuse any unintended offence.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i wanted to chime in with a simple yes/no since i saw this post still hasn't been marked as solved.

"if it just makes a copy of Office 365 email and stores it in EV"yes. it uses journaling and that's how journaling always has worked.

"does it pull the email from Office 365 and archives it into EV" - no. the email stays in O365. it's just a copy that's sent to your EV server via the journal rule and (send connector.)

"whether the Office 365 mailbox size will reduce once the archive policy is applied" - no. it's a copy.

Thank you. This is the response I was looking for.