cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Public Folders

Tom_Felts
Level 4
Hi,

I am trying to enable archiving of one specific public folder. I have a task created, and when I try to create a new Public Folder under the exchange server, I copy the path from the properties of the PF like so: \\Public Folders\All Public Folders\D.C.\CEA

No matter how I try this, I get an error message that states that EV is unable to verify the root path. The store is mounted.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Tom, I was trying to recreate you sub directory and ESM will not allow me to create a public folder named D.C. It craps out on the name ending with a .

I don't know a way to allow it to escape. I did create one call A.D and was able to verify it!

The path was \Root Folder\A.D and even path \Root Folder\A.D\CEA will verify.

Then I renamed it via ESM to be \Root Folder\A.D.\CEA and that verify's!! Crazy.

What version are you again? I am running 6.0 sp2.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

TonySterling
I wonder if the . in D.C. is giving you issues....

Can you try to create a test PF without . ?

Tom_Felts
Level 4
I was wondering the same thine, but if I try to map to \\Public Folders\All Public Folders\Oberthur (which is an existing folder) I get the same error. I verified that the Vault Admin account has inherited full permissions to the PF store as well.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I hate to suggest this, but are there any items in the root folder other than children folders? Try adding a test item in to the main folder (a doc, email, whatever) to see if it starts magically resolving the path.

I seem to remember there being a bug wherein it wouldn't archive public folder paths unless they were non-empty.

If that doesn't work, it's then time to start posting some dtraces so we can get in to the guts of the error.

micah

Tom_Felts
Level 4
Thanks for the tip, but no go. I fired up DTRACE and enabled 3,4 and 54 to verbose, and then tried to set the target PF, but nothing was logged. What else should I be logging here?

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Tom,
Can you give us the names of the processes you tagged. The numbering on dtrace changes with the differing modules you may have installed.

micah

Tom_Felts
Level 4
3 = Archive Points
4 = Archive Tasks
54 = Public Folder Task

TonySterling
you don't need archive points, that is for FSA. you won't need archive task either.

Try tracing on MMC. You should have a couple lines like this in there:

36321:15:31.178 (mmc)<5004>EV:MHrMAPIOpenFolderExKvs - Looking for folder
36421:15:31.178 (mmc)<5004>EV:MHrMAPIOpenFolderExKvs - Folder Public Folders exists, opening to look for next folderMessage was edited by:
Tony Sterling

Tom_Felts
Level 4
Thanks Tony. When I do that, I see that none of the paths I enter in are found. I have been taking the path from the properties tab of the public folder, when viewing it in outlook. I will try some LDAP queries to see if I can find a discrepancy there....

Tom_Felts
Level 4
Never mind the LDAP...its not there.

I am able to pull the path for a folder in the root of the tree like this:
\LA

The wizard accepts that path, and moves to the next screen. However, the path for the folder that I need to archive is this:

\D.C. \CEA
That path throws the validation error.

Yes, there are 2 periods, and a space in the path. Is there a way to escape these characters? Enclosing in quotes doesn't do it....

TonySterling
Tom, I was trying to recreate you sub directory and ESM will not allow me to create a public folder named D.C. It craps out on the name ending with a .

I don't know a way to allow it to escape. I did create one call A.D and was able to verify it!

The path was \Root Folder\A.D and even path \Root Folder\A.D\CEA will verify.

Then I renamed it via ESM to be \Root Folder\A.D.\CEA and that verify's!! Crazy.

What version are you again? I am running 6.0 sp2.

Tom_Felts
Level 4
6.0 SP2

I didn't create this path, but that may be the reason there is a space appended, ie:

\D.C. \ CEA

It was probably created in outlook, not ESM.

Tom_Felts
Level 4
It's the space. I have renamed the offending PF to take out the space, and it is working now. Thanks for the help.