cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving mails

EV7
Level 4

Hi GUys

What happens if we have a policy to archive emails when a mailbox reaches 70% of its limit ( 100MB ). But currently the mailbox is sitting on 110MB

( this excludes any emails received in the last week ) does not archive items older than 1 week.

If the mailbox is over the limit , I believe archivig will not happen unless you give them some temp space for the archive ( stubs ) to be created.

Pls confirm

Thanks

P

3 REPLIES 3

Chris_Harrison
Level 5
Employee

Hiya,

Yes, you're right, we won't archive anything. The archiving process actually makes messages slightly larger before they are turned into shortcuts, so if there is no space in the mailbox to do this the archiving action will fail.

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner

Chris,

This has always bugged me.  EV has the logic to increase quota limits during PST migrations.  Why not an option to temporarily increase mailbox quota limits to allow archiving if the user is over the Exchange quota?

Every single client I've been to would use this feature both for quota based and age based archiving vs requiring user or admin action to fix the mailbox.

I assume there has to be a reason this is not feasible.

-Joe

Chris_Harrison
Level 5
Employee

To be honest I don't know why we don't, there may be a technical reason for this, or it could be an oversight that we haven't addressed yet.

Auto-managing this situation could be a bad idea; if this happens (a lot) then perhaps the policy settings are not set correctly and we could be hiding this problem from the Admin. Or increasing quotas on an overnight archiving run could eat up all available space on the exchange server (consider spam issues bloating 100 mailboxes, EV adjusts the quota, more spam comes in, EV adjusts the quota, etc, and you're using safety copies so shortcuts aren't cleared straight away).

As always though, implemented the correct way if could be advantageous to do this, so I'd suggest raising an enhancement request on this.