cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving not Working - Icons besides emails are showing "clocklike" picture

swalsh19
Level 3
EV does not appear to be moving the email to archive.   The schedule is setup to run at midnight nightly but for the past couple days it has not been.

I also have tried to run the command manually with no success.

I also have seen some error messages with regards to the archivetask.exe file come back.  I did a server reboot yesterday when these errors occured hoping that it was a minor glitch and the reboot would address the issues.  However after logging in today the archiving still as not taken place.

Any tips as to what I could check as I'm relatively new to the EV administration.   Up until I added 20 user on Friday EV was working fine.   Here are the steps I did to set the users up, maybe I'm missing a step.

Setting User up for Archiving

1. Provisioning Group - Targets - Add User

2. Tasks (Under Enterprise Vault Servers) - Exchange Provisioning Task for Filogix - Right Click - Run Now

3. Tools - Enable Mailbox – Find User under Available Mailboxes {From Main Title bar}

4. Go Back to Tasks - Right Click on Exchange Mailbox Archiving, Select Properties - Synchronize (Make Sure the Folder Hierarchy box is checked)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
 I understand from your previous post you are pretty new to EV, are you also the one in charge of the backups?  If you are not I would recommend contacting the person responsible for your backup software and see if they can help you with why the backups either a.) are not completing or b.) not removing the archive bit.

Regards,
Tony

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

TonySterling
the "clocklike picture" means the item is pending backup.  Have your vaultstore partitions been backed up?  What is the storage device for the partitions?

What errors are you seeing?  (event id and description from the event are helpful here)

Regards,

swalsh19
Level 3
There are no significant errors I can see in the event viewer.

Can I invoke a backup manually so the icons change for users?  This should be running nightly at about 2-3am...

TonySterling
You had said in your first post that "I also have seen some error messages with regards to the archivetask.exe file come back ".  That is why I brought that up.

Yes, you can intiate the backup or at the very least verify that it has occurred. 

Does your backup software remove the archive bit from the dvs files?  What is your storage device?

There is also some information in the Admin guide on Backing up the system.  In the Vault Admin console you can simply open help and do a search for backing up and it should get you to the relevant section.

Regards,

swalsh19
Level 3
I hadn't seen any error messages since I rebooted yesterday is what i was meaning sorry about that.

I know it is backed up to a drive array I think.

As for the dvs files I'm not too sure on that one.

What would I do to initiate the backup manually as I would like to try that.

swalsh19
Level 3
Actually I read a warning and it says the following:

"192246 savesets have not yet been backed up or replicated to ExchangeVault store..."

Is this why I'm seeing my issue?

I read this from another posting you had -

"The savesets are the dvs files that in stored in the Vault Store partition. If they have been backed up you could run the Attrib -a *.dvs /s from the command line to remove the archive bit to see if that helps. Like Jason said, you will want to check to make sure your trigger file is functioning correctly."

How do I check the trigger file?

TonySterling
Open the Admin Console help and do a search for trigger file.  If you Backup Software does not remove the archive bit it is common to use a trigger file.

Also, if you are EV 8 read these:

Enterprise Vault 8.0 - Backup procedures (Associated SQL Scripts)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/320845

312327: Enterprise Vault 8.0 - Backup procedures (PDF)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/312327

swalsh19
Level 3
Tony,

Currently we are using EV7.5 SP3.

I have run the EV_Full_Backup.bat file and that completed successfully.  

I also ran the EV_Backup_Inc {incrementatal}  but that exited with a error code 1.

I don't see in the batch file anything about error codes, so I have no idea what this means.

I will look into the trigger file...

TonySterling
 I understand from your previous post you are pretty new to EV, are you also the one in charge of the backups?  If you are not I would recommend contacting the person responsible for your backup software and see if they can help you with why the backups either a.) are not completing or b.) not removing the archive bit.

Regards,
Tony

swalsh19
Level 3
I will give you a quick summary of the weeks events.   EV was working as it should up until Tues.  Tues I went in and added some users to the provisioning group.  We are just beginning to roll it out to the company so we are rolling it out about 30users at a time.  However somehow on Tuesday when users were added the ALL Exchange group was selected which then began provisioning everyone in the company...

SO I called into Symantec and we then went into the SQL database and removed everyone.  I then went back and provisioned the people I wanted   I then began the archiving task and it would run for about 40-60mins before failing.  By failing I mean the archivetask threw an error similiar to ones you would see when a program has a memory leak...   Anyhow I could manually stop/start services and then we would be good to go again...

I proceded to add another 30users on Friday however I'm at the situation where I listed in the opening of this thread.  Users are not having the icon change....

Am I assuming right here that when the backup is running that it is not changing the flag for backup from false to true and this is why my icon is not changing as EV is thinking the email is not backed up?

I find it wierd that our pilot was running fine for over amonth prior to this change this week and now I'm seeing this issue.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The trigger file has been mentioned here a few times but the actual storage technology has not been confirmed. The trigger file is used generally if your storage where the DVS files are housed is a netapp device.

If it is not then we need to forget about the trigger file. What you can do is run the command:-
select * from journalarchive
against each of your vault store databases.

Looking at the result set you will see columns called backupcomplete and indexcommited. If we are just waiting for confirmation of backup then backupcomplete will be at 0 and indexcommited at 1.

If you also run the command select * from watchfile then there should be the same number of items in this table as there are in the journalarchive table with a backupcomplete value of 0.

Here you can see the actual location of the DVS file so you can investigate whether the archive bit has actually been reset. If it has then the next process depends on whether your storage is local or not. If local then the item should be post processed immediately. If not local then it will be done either when the storage service is restarted or every 12 hours by default (This can be changed via a registry key)

swalsh19
Level 3
I have confirmed that the storage device is a 2050 Netapp.

swalsh19
Level 3
I think I will call into Symantec tomorrow to have them look into this via a webex session as something can't be configured properly and this issue has just arose snce the last time I spoke to them, as I don't know where to look for the above mentioned items.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Cannot comment why all of a sudden you have stated that his has stopped working but this is the information on the triggerbitfile which has been copied from our admin guide:-

Using a trigger file
You can set Remove safety copies to After backup to control when Enterprise Vault turns archived items in mailboxes into shortcuts. This mechanism relies on the backup software clearing the Archive file attribute after backup is complete.

This mechanism can be awkward to use if:

You want to perform differential backups and so cannot allow the Archive file attribute to be set.
Your vault stores are on a device that does not support the Archive file attribute, such as SnapLock™.
Your backup software cannot be configured to clear the Archive file attribute.
In this case, you must reset the attribute bit manually, as described in Using backup software that does not clear the Archive file attribute.
Enterprise Vault has a second method, using a trigger file, of determining whether files have been backed up. To make the Storage service delete safety copies, you must place a file called IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt in the root folder of each partition that has been backed up. This file is renamed or deleted by the Storage service when it deletes safety copies.

How it works
You enable the mechanism by creating a registry value on the Storage service computer. When you have enabled the mechanism, the Storage service checks the root folder of each vault store partition for a file called IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt. This gives a mechanism that is controllable at the partition level:

If the trigger file exists, the Storage service takes this as a signal that the partition has been backed up and it does the following:
Tries to rename the file to IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.old or, failing that, to delete it.
Provided that the trigger file has been renamed or deleted, removes safety copies from mailboxes.
If the trigger file does not exist, or cannot be renamed or deleted, the Storage service reverts to its normal behavior of checking each saveset's Archive file attribute to determine whether it has been backed up. If a file's archive file attribute is set then, for safety, the Storage service does not remove safety copies.
The Storage service performs the check when it starts and then every 12 hours.

Setting up the trigger file mechanism
To enable the trigger file mechanism

On the Storage service computer, start the registry editor and navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\Storage

Create a DWORD value called FileWatchEnableIgnoreArchiveBit and give it a value of 1.
The Storage service now checks for a trigger file each time it starts.

Using the trigger file
To use a trigger file

Back up all files and place a trigger file, IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt, in the root folder of each partition that has been backed up.
Restart the Storage service.