cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving of attachment in calendar

Zenworks2001
Level 5

Hi,

We're beginning a pilot phase for archiving attachments in calendar. Process works fine but not for existing old appointment/meeting request. Indeed, appointment/meeting request appears in Archive explorer but attachment remains in Outlook. I've uploaded config ini for info.

From Vault, policies are "Archive unexpired calendar events" to off and "Strip attachment to non-shortcuts items" to On.

If you have an idea.

Many tx in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_S_Jones
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

This "problem" stems from the fact that the current items with attachments have already been archived.  Currently this is the way Enterprise Vault functions on these non-shortcut items, a support case would more than likely confirm that these items are already archived and that this is the expected behavior.  If these items were modified in some way, such as a small edit then these would be a 'new' item and it would be archived and the attachment stripped much like the new items being archived; however you would see a duplicate within the Archive (the original and the modified version).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Actually you may end up doing more harm than good with the EVPM filter, what's the reason for using it? So you archive at a different time to your regular mailbox? I'm pretty sure the filter you've set is overriding the regular policy and it's treating the replace attachments with link with the regular default settings etc
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

hmmm in that case if its old items, any chance you can use Outlook spy to view the properties of the old items and see whether its stamped with any EV properties? it sounds almost like because its been archived before

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Zenworks2001
Level 5

Hi,

Your comment are interesting. It seems existing items in calendar are stamped not to be archived.

Now, if I bring some modification in the appointment (eg rename subject or location), then attachment is archived and replaced by link.

Is there any way to force this new policy (strip of attachment) on existing attachment?

Kr,

Andrew_S_Jones
Level 4

Unfortunately I do not believe, at this time, there is a way to strip the existing attachments on calendar items that have been previously archived by Enterprise Vault without that option selected.

Zenworks2001
Level 5

Hi,

We use EVPM for enabling mailbox. Rule is that root mailbox is not enabled for archiving (Filtername=DoNotArchive) but only predefined Vault folders with different retention. Then, users drag items to these folders for archiving (scheduled every night).

If I do NOT apply EVPM for calendar (file on attachment) and check log from dtrace:

211 14:18:49.989  [6364] (ArchiveTask) <6812> EV:L :CArchivingAgent::PF_SetFilterAndRetention() |There is no current folder filter for the folder Calendar, so the parent folder filter will be used |
212 14:18:49.989  [6364] (ArchiveTask) <6812> EV:L :CArchivingAgent::PF_SetFilterAndRetention() |The VaultId value applied to the folder Calendar is 1BBE1A836343E494C8C5302611F8D1DEE1110000xxx |
213 14:18:49.989  [6364] (ArchiveTask) <6812> EV:L :CArchivingAgent::PF_SetFilterAndRetention() |The Retention Category value applied to the folder Calendar is 1DBF34C05091C314A9DD7487600DA1E021b10000xxx |
214 14:18:49.989  [6364] (ArchiveTask) <6812> EV:L :CArchivingAgent::PF_SetFilterAndRentention() |Exiting routine  |
215 14:18:49.989  [6364] (ArchiveTask) <6812> EV:M EFP - Folder Policy Settings for [Calendar]|  Filter Type = Not archiving this folder (do not archive)|  Archive Settings Locked = FALSE|  Override Locks = FALSE|  Delete Original = FALSE|  Create Shortcut = FALSE|  Archive unread items = FALSE|  Archiving based on : Age|  Age Based Period 999 Years|  Using age based size priority|  Minimum Size 10240KB|  Do not archive items younger than 1 Weeks

So, calendar is not archived as parent folder is configured to be NOT archived.

Now, when I use EVPM for calendar, only new attachments in calendar are archived.

Zenworks2001
Level 5

Hi Andrew,

Do you think we've a chance to receive a solution from Symantec if I open a case for this issue? This option could be very useful for us.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Andrew_S_Jones
Level 4

This "problem" stems from the fact that the current items with attachments have already been archived.  Currently this is the way Enterprise Vault functions on these non-shortcut items, a support case would more than likely confirm that these items are already archived and that this is the expected behavior.  If these items were modified in some way, such as a small edit then these would be a 'new' item and it would be archived and the attachment stripped much like the new items being archived; however you would see a duplicate within the Archive (the original and the modified version).