Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving with quota and age doesnot work for one user

Marco_Zoomer
Level 4
Partner

I hav got a strange problem.

At a customer site we installed EV 8.0 SP4 with archiving quota set to 20 % and age to 6 moths but not younger then 2 weeks. For all the users this workd fine except for one user.

I get an event that the user reached 90 % off his quota but there are no items ready to archive.

When i view his mailbox he has an inbox off 400 MB and sent items off 100mb. All the other files are less then that.

There are no unread items that are monts old. So everything should be fine.

I ran a dtrace for archiving. the only strange message i found was this one:

MAPICommon::GetFixed_PR_FOLDER_PATHNAME() - The source folder is the root of the information store, returning an empty string 

I disabled the mailbox, synchronised, enabled the mailbox and synchronised again but no result.

Can anyone comment on this? any help is welcome.

Marco Zoomer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'd zap the mailbox, then move the mailbox to another server. That should fix the weird error. When moved, enable it on there. see what than happens.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Not sure if it will help.

But I would check what message class the mails have in the problematic mailbox and the modified time as well, at least to start with.

E.g. making sure that the message class is IPM.Note and the modified time of the mails match the policy settings.

/Fredrik

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Have you run an archiving task in the report mode?  That would potentially give some additional data.

You might also want to zap the mailbox to remove any old hidden messages and then enable anew.

Has this mailbox been recently migrated, or had any other special operations?  That would change the modified dates as well.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'd zap the mailbox, then move the mailbox to another server. That should fix the weird error. When moved, enable it on there. see what than happens.

Regards. Gertjan

Constanze
Level 4

If zapping does not appear to help you could check if there is any item stuck in the "Top Level of Information Store" - via Outlook Search (just search for everything anywhere and sort by folder) or use Outlook Spy.

Marco_Zoomer
Level 4
Partner

Thsi user uses the same policy as every other user. For all the other users it works fine.

When i do an archiving task in report mode for thi user it states that he is above quota but there aren't any items eligable for archiving. All the right message classes are selected and there are items that eligable for archiving.

I will try to zapp it and search for itesm that are stuck in the top level of information store.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

When you run the archiving task in the report mode do you see any messages (#) that are eligible for archiving, and that would be archived?  This will help you identify where to look in the troubleshooting process.   Also, if you run a manaual archiving task against just this one mailbox are there any errors in the event log?

Baring answers to these two, start a Dtrace, run the archivng task in the run-now mode and review the Dtrace results for any errors.

Marco_Zoomer
Level 4
Partner

I started a dtrace and started the archiving task for the selected mailbox.

The following entries wher in there:

MAPICommon::GetFixed_PR_FOLDER_PATHNAME() - Reading PR_FOLDER_PATHNAME
MAPICommon::GetFixed_PR_FOLDER_PATHNAME() - The source folder is the root of the information store, returning an empty string
MAPICommon::GetFixed_PR_FOLDER_PATHNAME() - Setting output parameter

CFolderHelper::GFS(Top of Information Store) Non-Structured archive - nothing to do

Anyone got a clue?

Marco_Zoomer
Level 4
Partner

Solved. We zapped the mailbox and exported the whole mailbox, deleted it adn erceated ist. It now works fine.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm we had this same issue (well very similar) via our internal support forums the other day...  does the trace show "Do not archive" for the Top of the Information Store (and it doesn't then look for any other folders)?  If so then your steps would resolve it, however as an alternative you can use the full Outlook Addin (or EVPM) and change the setting on the "mailbox" level in Outlook.

Working for cloudficient.com