cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Enable mailbox and assign to specific vault store group

MASIV
Level 4
I am curious as to whether this can be accomplished:

I have 6 vault stores and would like to auto enable users and assign to specific vault store groups.  I am thinking I will need to set up specific provisioning groups based on Windows group membership.  Does this sound right?

The other twist on this is that we have two provisioning groups which assign certain retention policies.  These are "unlimited retention" and "2 year retention" and the provisioning groups are pointed to a Windows group for the "unlimited" people and whole exchange organization for the "2 year group"

I have the provisioning group ordered so that the "unlimited" provisioning group applies first and the default for everyone else is the "2 year policy".

So I have the "unlimited" and "2 year" assignments figured out.  But can I also auto enable and assign to specific vault stores and still keep the assignments to the 2 retention policies?  Seems like this is a complicated setup.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
3 REPLIES 3

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
Chris,

How are your targets setup in each provisioning group?For example...are you also keeping the group of users that will have an unlimeted option under a separate OU?. -, Or, are you assigning an attribute to identify those users and referencing an LDAP query in your Provisiong Group to enable them?

I'd recommend enabling one user for each PG first to assure that each provisioning group is directed to the correct Vault Stores once "Automatic Enablement" has been configured. This will also assure that a specific Vault Store is linked to the correct Provisioning Group.

Once the above has been completed...then i recommend updating your targets in each provisioning group for "Automatic Enablement".

Please let me know on any questions,
Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Dennis
STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 2007
STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 8.0 for Exchange

MASIV
Level 4
Curently I only have two provisioning groups set up.  "Unlimited Retention" and "Default Provisioning Group".  Neither one has automatic enable set up.

The "Unlimited Retention" group is first in the list and points to a  Windows group that contains the users that will have unlimited retention.  The users that are not members of the previous group automatically fall under the "Default' provisioning group which points to Whole Exchange Organization.  This works fine.  The "unlimited" provisioning group applies first and those members are not process under the "default" group.

The above works fine.

What I would like to do if possible is retain the above idea but also incorporate auto enable that assigns new users to specific vault storage groups.  Our users are created under a certain OU depending on the location where they work.  So I can assign provisioning groups based on either OU or a Windows group membership.  There are currently 6 vault storage groups. 

I guess my question is:  How can a user be assigned settings by more than one provisioning group if processing of that user stops at the first provisioning group that they meet the criteria for?

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
Chris,

Not sure if this scenario will help...but here it goes. Per your response...I also agree that you cannot assign multiple settings using various provisioning groups to a group of users. Once it hits on the first provisioning group it will stop.

Right now you I understand that you have users in OU "A" with a RC Unlimited and OU "B" with a RC of 2 years assigned to Vault Store 1

If you intend to follow the same concept but need to assign it to a particular vault store; then I'd recommend creating two policies with similar guidelines as the above per each Vault Store you need to create.

Examples: OU (Sales) OU (Marketing) (Note: if you need to separate users within an OU; using Custom Attributes in AD and targeting those users using an LDAP query in a PG may be easier.)

For OU (Sales)
Create 2 PG's as follows (PG1 Sales RC Unlimited) and (PG2 Sale RC 2 yrs) assigned to Vault Store 2.

For OU (Marketing)
Create 2 PG's as follows (PG1 Marketing RC Unlimited) and (PG2 Marketing RC2 yrs) assigned to Vault Store 3.

Since these are more specific than your defaults...then you need to assure that these PG's are above.

Please keep me posted on any comments or questions,
Thanks,
Dennis
STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 2007
STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 8.0 for Exchange