cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Archiving Not Working

DrowningFish
Level 2

Hi Folks,

I have been working through a problem on my SEV server for the last two days, and I cannot seem to figure this one out.

I am able to view, restore and archive all vaulted email messages manually using the EVClient extensions for Outlook. My problem is the ArchiveTask on the server does not do anything. My policy is set to archive all items older than a month. Yet I have items that remained untouched since 9/30/2008.

When I review the MQ the a5 queue fills up with a little over 1000 messages. Gradually this queue empties; I get no MQ errors.

I enabled a DTrace, Mailbox Archiving Issues (Exchange). My DTrace results will be posted in a reply to this post.

From my point of view the trace looks okay except for one apparent problem that sticks out and has been my primary focus:

**BEGIN DTRACE SNIPPET**

3210    08:05:40.649     [3988]    (ArchiveTask)    <5756>    EV:M    CQueue::Open(lp,dw,dw) (Exit) |There is a sharing violation. The queue is already open for exclusive retrieval.  [0xc00e0009] |
3211    08:05:40.649     [3988]    (ArchiveTask)    <5756>    EV:L    The queue .\private$\Enterprise Vault Archive Agent Admin Queue is already open.|It is likely that another process is running and will be processing the Nack messages placed on this queue.|This Nack Handler will now terminate, as it is redundant.  No additional action is necessary. |

**END DTRACE SNIPPET**

I suspect the above error is causing my problem right now. What does the community think? Is this my problem, or do you see something in my DTrace that I am not catching?

This has been a challenge. So I am hoping some of you can shed some light on this issue.  Thanks for your help.

Message Edited by DrowningFish on 02-01-2009 06:01 AM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi, That dtrace is showing that ev is checking around 34 items and of that 30 are not old enough to be archived. What's best is if you look at the mailbox in question and identify a folder and mail message you think should be getting archived and then look in toe dtrace to see if you can see why it's not getting archived.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DrowningFish
Level 2

Easier to post the DTrace this way:

http://www.drowning-fish.com/sev_dtrace.txt

Message Edited by DrowningFish on 02-01-2009 05:59 AM

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi, That dtrace is showing that ev is checking around 34 items and of that 30 are not old enough to be archived. What's best is if you look at the mailbox in question and identify a folder and mail message you think should be getting archived and then look in toe dtrace to see if you can see why it's not getting archived.

DrowningFish
Level 2

Problem resolved. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Take care.

Message Edited by DrowningFish on 02-01-2009 09:44 AM