cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Enable Mailboxes

Deatheye
Level 5

Hi

Somehow it looks like this is not working. But there's a good chance I'm just missing something. Cause it's the first time I'm looking into EV.
Yesterday I created two new Users, Logged on to both and sent an Email from one to an other.
Today there Mailbox still doesn't appear inside EV.
I manually started "Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task" which, if I understand this right, should be the Task causing EV to add new Mailboxes.
The provisioning Group is set on the whole exchange organisation and the mark to automaticaly enable mailboxes is set.

The first two user that allready existed before the EV installation got there mailbox inside EV. But I never found out when and why excatly.

EDIT: The Exchange Mailbox archiving rule is set to archive Items older then 1 day.
What does this excatly mean?
Should it archive Mails that I generated yesterday, just cause the day changed or does EV actually check the exact time? And what excatly means "older then one day"?

Message Edited by Deatheye on 02-25-2009 02:44 AM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You have one setting to never archive items younger than one setting for items larger than, then the last is age/quota.

So dependent on what your last setting is set to, would determine if you using age/quota.  I really hope you are not archiving everything after a day, that's just nuts!

So yes I mean something else.  I think it would be better if you past a screenshot of your settings please.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

Automatically enable mailboxes. Controls whether Enterprise Vault automatically enables archiving for new mailboxes in this provisioning group.

A new mailbox is one that is new to Enterprise Vault. When you first start using Enterprise Vault, all the mailboxes are new. With this setting selected, all existing mailboxes are enabled when the Exchange Mailbox Task next runs. All mailboxes created in the future will also be enabled. The associated archives are automatically created.

If there is a mailbox that you do not want to enable, you can explicitly disable it by running the Disable Mailbox wizard. This prevents the mailbox being enabled automatically, so the mailbox is never archived unless you choose to enable it

So if your mailboxes that you speak of have been provisioned then you should see an entry for them within the exchangemailboxentry table in the enterprisevaultdirectory database or instead of looking in there just click on the enable mailbox button on the toolbar and your 2 users should show up in the list as new.

If this is the case then the mailboxes have been provisioned correctly and the next time the exchange task is run these mailboxes should be enabled. If not then it would appear that you have an issue. What you can do is setup a DTRACE of the archivetask process and you should see the following piece of code being called which is what enables your mailbox:-

CArchivingAgentQueue::EnableMailbox - calling EnableMailboxUsingMAPISession

Regarding your 2nd question archive items older than one day means that when the task is run it will look and the send date of the mail to determine if it is eligible for archiving so when it does the calculation with the time that archiving is running and it is over 1 day then the item will be archived.

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner

Deatheye

I am concerned about how you are doing this ,others may comment and point out my understanding of your situation is incorrect

At the moment by ticking the box Automatically enable Mailboxes this is going to enable and create archives for every single user in your organization as you have selected the Whole Exchange Organization's means based on the archive policy data will be archived from all mailboxes on the next Archive run.If the EV client isn't installed and the users aren't aware of this this will create confusion and a failure to access archived mails

A better way to do this is to untick the Automatically enable Mailboxes and use Tools\Enable Mailboxes .This way you can select users and rollout out EV in a phased approach .I hope this makes sense :)

Deatheye
Level 5
Ok, maybe I should have mentioned this: EV is currently running inside a test envirement. Not a productive System.
We are just looking at the Software to find out if it fits our needs.
So right now there only exist 4 users. Right now I'm busy with other things. But thanks so far for the responses I will come back to this as soon as I got some time again ^^

Deatheye
Level 5

I finnaly got time again to look in to this ^^

I noticed I can manually activate the mailboxes. But still I want them to automatically activate. So we have one step less to take if a new user is created. In the manually activate mailboxes wizard the mailboxes of the two missing users are listed as new. 

The provisioning group is set to automatically enable mailboxes, target is the hole organisation.

I got emails from the last month inside the mailboxes, mailbox policy is set to archive mails older than 1 day.

Any Idea what I'm missing?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

are you using quota based archiving?

Deatheye
Level 5

If so, that wouldn't be intended. Lik I sad the Mailbox Policy is set to archiving emails older than 1 day. Which means based on age not on quota. Or do you mean anything else?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

You have one setting to never archive items younger than one setting for items larger than, then the last is age/quota.

So dependent on what your last setting is set to, would determine if you using age/quota.  I really hope you are not archiving everything after a day, that's just nuts!

So yes I mean something else.  I think it would be better if you past a screenshot of your settings please.

Deatheye
Level 5

As I sad it's a test environment. I can't wait a year so that finally emails get archieved :D
No one does anything with the systems we are talking about, except me. Seperate domain, IP-Range, AD, etc.

Don't you men the settings in this screen? O_o
imagebrowser image

If you meant a setting somewhere else I woul be happy if we would find out where^^
But I think the problem which I originally was asking about is solved.
The Archiving Defaults wheren't set (Default Vault Store, Default Indexing Service). This two entries where missing:
imagebrowser image

After setting them it looks like its working fine ^^

Deatheye
Level 5

Double post. See the one below.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

glad to hear its sorted.