Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating Archive Limit with Provisioning Group

EVIsExciting
Level 3
Partner
Hi Folks

I am in the process of developing a design of EV environment and one of the requirements is to have a user's
Archive size restricted to 5gb, 10gb and 20gb. For ease of understanding users are categorised as
Standard(5gb), Power(10gb) and Executive(20gb).

I think Solution to achieve this would be to configure 3 Provisioning Group; with each provisioning 
group targeting corresponding category of AD Group. One vault stores will be required for each of the 3 category 
and set as default on corresponding provisioning group. Each vault store will have archive limit defined 
accordingly.

What I need a clarification around is, what happens when a Standard user is promoted to Power user?

Do we have to move his archives from Standard Vault store to Power Vault Store so that his archive 
can grow beyond 5gb limit?

or

Does EV do it automatically and we can just sit back and relax?

When the provisioning task runs will it flag a conflict and not do anything about it?

Another solution which seems to be easy one is to have just one provisioning group targeting single AD Group with single vault store and just update ArchiveLimit field in sql database to change the Archive limit. This will have to be scripted.

However I am not very keen on under the hood changes as it breaks the support contract.

Basically I am after an automated solution so that when a user's upgrade request is approved it 
will be as easy as moving their user account to appropriate AD Group.

Can you please help by validating this technique or suggest a better way to achieve this.

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate this community.

Regards

Raj
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

Answers to you questions is inlined..

• Do we have to move his archives from Standard Vault store to Power Vault Store so that his archive can grow beyond 5gb limit?

Ans: Yes, If you want to have the archive Limit should be changed from 5GB to 10 GB as it is set on Vaultstore. and you want to distinguish archives with VaultStore by there are limit..\

For Ex: at anytime you can say that the Vaultstore 1 has archives with Usage limit 5 GB and VaultStore 2 has archives with Usage limit 10 GB

Otherwise : you can change the UsageLimit on a Single Archive as well.
  • Does EV do it automatically and we can just sit back and relax?
Ans: When you Move the user from one OU to another OU, the Provisioning task will update it accordingly and policy applied to respective provisioing group will take affect on the archive but EV will not Move the Archive automatically from one VaultStore to another VaultStore automatically, we have to do it Manually using Move Archive.

When the provisioning task runs will it flag a conflict and not do anything about it?

Ans: Once you Move the user from one OU to another OU, the Provisioning task will update it accordingly in th Next run and policy applied to respective provisioing group will take affect on the archive.

Remember we specify which would be the default Vault store if we want automatically enable users for archiving  (Properties of Provisioning  Group -> Archive Deafult Tab -> Automatically enable Mailbox).

So No erros will be logged by Provisioing Group and neither any conflict will occur.

As per my knowledge they is no otherway around except creating a script to make changes in SQL Database accordingly..

I hope this Helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Raj,

You are basically right above to be honest.

If you wanted the Archive limits to affect the Archives then the Archives need to be either:-

1) Moved to the relevant Vault Store

2) Changed manually either on the properties of the Archive or in SQL

The Archive picks up the information from the Vault Store or on an Archive by Archive basis. The Provisioning Group defaults ONLY apply when you first enable a mailbox for Archiving (These can also be overridden at that time too if you are manually enabling a mailbox) so once it has been placed in that Vault Store nothing changes automatically, even if you change the Provisioning Group that targets that user account, and the default Vault Store for that Provisioning Group is different from the original, it will make no difference to the Archive, Archive placement or Archive limits at all.

You will need to do one of the above options, or something similar if anyone can suggest anything.

A_J1
Level 6

Hi,

Answers to you questions is inlined..

• Do we have to move his archives from Standard Vault store to Power Vault Store so that his archive can grow beyond 5gb limit?

Ans: Yes, If you want to have the archive Limit should be changed from 5GB to 10 GB as it is set on Vaultstore. and you want to distinguish archives with VaultStore by there are limit..\

For Ex: at anytime you can say that the Vaultstore 1 has archives with Usage limit 5 GB and VaultStore 2 has archives with Usage limit 10 GB

Otherwise : you can change the UsageLimit on a Single Archive as well.
  • Does EV do it automatically and we can just sit back and relax?
Ans: When you Move the user from one OU to another OU, the Provisioning task will update it accordingly and policy applied to respective provisioing group will take affect on the archive but EV will not Move the Archive automatically from one VaultStore to another VaultStore automatically, we have to do it Manually using Move Archive.

Ans: Once you Move the user from one OU to another OU, the Provisioning task will update it accordingly in th Next run and policy applied to respective provisioing group will take affect on the archive.

Remember we specify which would be the default Vault store if we want automatically enable users for archiving  (Properties of Provisioning  Group -> Archive Deafult Tab -> Automatically enable Mailbox).

So No erros will be logged by Provisioing Group and neither any conflict will occur.

As per my knowledge they is no otherway around except creating a script to make changes in SQL Database accordingly..

I hope this Helps.

sai_india
Level 3

Hi

Please chek this articel

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6007

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you create three security groups in AD, you can match it with three provisioning groups in Enterprise Vault and rank the groups in order: #1 executive, #2 power and #3 standard, assigning to each provisioning group its Vault Store based on the Archive Usage Limit settings.

When a user is promoted, just move the user from one security group to another in AD and the provisioning task will do the rest. The only issue is you need to move the archive manually from one Vault Store to another using Move Archive.

If you want to keep this configuration, I believe Move Archive will be your best option, why? because if you start updating each archive manually or running SQL queries to update the SQL EV databases manually (which is not supported) it would be more difficult to manage. IMHO, from an EV Admin perspecitve, I'd like to keep all the archives together under the same Vault Store with the same settings.

I hope this helps.

EVIsExciting
Level 3
Partner

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your input, really helped.

Regards

Raj

A_J1
Level 6

Glad to Help :)