cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awaiting Backup issue

Daniel_Yehezkae
Level 4
Hey to all,

I have this problem, After the Backup procedure, I checked the usage report and i saw about 20000 items that r waiting for backup. I know the backup finished OK.

I restarted the Message Queuing (and the storage and task controller services of EV). Then the numbers stared running down till they reached 2500. I restarted the services again and it dropped again to 58....

I don't understand why it happens, but it seems that the queuing service needs to be waken up here and there....

Daniel
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
There is a registry key that can change the default File Watch process (which initiates once every 12 hours or when the Storage Service is restarted) - you can reduce this.

The registry key is FileWatchScanInterval.

Location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\Storage
Content DWORD value with a value set to a number minutes.
If the value is set to 0 then no rescanning is performed. If the value does not exist then the rescan is done every 12 hours.

Each Enterprise Vault Storage Service has a component called StorageFileWatch. This is a process that runs when an Enterprise Vault Storage Service is started and scans the Vault Store NTFS files to check whether they have been backed up.This value enables you to set how frequently these scans happen.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Where are your Vault stores held? Local or remote?

If they are remote the Storage service only checks every 12 hours to see whether backup has been done.

If you restart the Storage service, it will kick off this process straight away?

During backup are your stopping the EV services? Best practice for backup is to stop EV services (set services to read-only via registry key), start ev services, do backup - then once finished stop ev services, revert keys back, and start ev services.
You can check out the Admin guide on procedure and sample batch files on how to do this.

Daniel_Yehezkae
Level 4
John , Thanks for u'r answer

My storage is local, and we do the backup proc like u described - stopping the services, going into a read only mode and restarting them

I'll check next backup to c if restarting only the storage service will wake the things up and I'll let u know, but its odd cause they restart automatically after backup!

Daniel

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
There is a registry key that can change the default File Watch process (which initiates once every 12 hours or when the Storage Service is restarted) - you can reduce this.

The registry key is FileWatchScanInterval.

Location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\Storage
Content DWORD value with a value set to a number minutes.
If the value is set to 0 then no rescanning is performed. If the value does not exist then the rescan is done every 12 hours.

Each Enterprise Vault Storage Service has a component called StorageFileWatch. This is a process that runs when an Enterprise Vault Storage Service is started and scans the Vault Store NTFS files to check whether they have been backed up.This value enables you to set how frequently these scans happen.

Daniel_Yehezkae
Level 4
Mark Thanks!!

I have a backup planed for this weekend, hope it will pork

Daniel

Daniel_Yehezkae
Level 4
It worked fine - thanks again

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
No problem Daniel! Where's my green bulb?!?! :)