Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAckup Enterprise Vault 8.0 with MS DPM 2007

Marco_Zoomer
Level 4
Partner
The case is as following:

We hav e a customer witch is using Microsoft DPM as its backup software
We hav installed a fresh installation of EV 8.0 SP1 with Exchange archiving and PST migration. Now we want to backup the EV server. For this purpose i hav created a pre and post backup script to put the EV in backup mode.
The script works fine when i am logged in as a EV admin

When we use the script from within DPM it gives an error. I have checked MS to see witch account is starting the script from wthin DPM. Thay state it uses Local System account.

My question is: Wich account do ik have to give witch role in EV to let DPM perform the scripts.
Or is it possible to start the script in DPM with another account.

Does someone has come arround this already. 
6 REPLIES 6

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 You need to use the EV service account as your backup service account or ensure that whichever service account you use, ensure it has local admin rights on the EV server

Marco_Zoomer
Level 4
Partner
Thanks, This will help. Surely we won't be using the ev service account for this as it is not a domain admin account.

We are now looking at starting the DPM services with a specific backup account. that account i wil give the needed acces onm the EV server.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
So if you want to use a specific backup account, put the Backup Account into the Administrator group on the EV server.
Then go into Roles Base Admin and give the account appropriate access - Power User (I think it's called that) is good - because this role has the required access to put both Index and Storage into Backup mode.

Though as scanner said, use the EV service account to start the DPM services as you will know it has the required privileges to do the job.

Marco_Zoomer
Level 4
Partner
Together with an MVP we build a test domain containing Windows 2008 DC, Exchange 2007 and EV 8 server.

At first we tried to create a account SA_Backup and let the services start with this account. We also gave this user the Power Administrator role. This doesnot work, it isnot sufficient to only change the service account for the service DPMRA. You also have to change all the other accounts that are teid to DPM. In an working enviorment you need to change all the accounts on the different servers.
When installing DPM you are not able to choose or modify the accounts taht are used for starting the DPM services.

The second thing we tried is to give the script a runas command. But this didnot work either.

As result i gave the domain user SYSTEM the Power Administrator role in EV and now it works fine.

Marco_Zoomer
Level 4
Partner
After testing the configuration stated above we discoverd that DPM doesn't reset the archive bit.

Wehn checking the usage.asp it stated that the items where still awaiting backup

We have chnaged the postbackup script wiht the adition of attrib -a /s for the entire vualt stor partition. This results in a usage.asp that is up to date.

It is not the most clean solution but effective.

But do we need tot reset the archive bit on the index partition also?

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Marco

You may also want to have a look at the "trigger file" mechanism:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319003.htm

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.