Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up EV Closed partitions

BlueBull
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have a question about EV Backups and Closed partitions.

When a partion becomes closed, and the roll-over partion becomes active, all additions during archiving are made to the Active partition.

My question is this: When you backup the EV environment and set backup mode on the Vault Store and Index, you only need to backup the Active partition, Index locations and SQL to have the backups synchronised?

Also, I have read that the closed partitions can be backed up less frequent than the active partitions. So no daily backups of closed partitions are required. Is this correct?

If the above is true, I also need some insight on the following:

1. Regarding the closed partitions, can these be backed up outside the time window when EV is in backup mode? Example, Backup mode is set, Backups run and backup the EV active partiton, Index location and the SQL Databases. Once this completes, EV is then taken out of backup mode and Archiving continues. Once this all occurs, can the closed partitions then be backed up or do they need to be backed up when EV is in Backup mode?
  2. Next question is, if the closed partitions are backed up less frequently, how do we handle the following:
  • Collections and Migrations set on Closed Partitions. This does make changes to the partition and therefor do we need to back the closed partition up while EV is in backup mode
  • Deletions are occuring on the Closed partitions. This does make changes to the partition and therefor do we need to back the closed partition up while EV is in backup mode

In summary, I would like to know how to handle closed partitions during backup as the backup window for EV is very short in the evening and need to try and implement a strategy that protects the client as much as possible.

Look forward to any responses.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

besides what i outlined in my previous post for you. it pretty much boils down to this:

if you're using options/features that make changes to data in the closed partitions then best practice calls for backing up closed partitions while EV is in backup mode.

if you're not using options/features that make changes to data in closed partitions then you can "get away" with backing them up without putting EV in backup mode.

one side note is something that depends on your backup technology because you don't necessarily need to keep EV in backup mode the entire time the backup is running. some backup technologies can take a VSS snapshot of the system and then backup from the data map stored snapshot which allows you to release EV from backup mode long before the actual backup job completes. (but that's another topic of discussion maybe for a different forum)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB

which of the following are you using?

collections

storage migrations

user deletions

storage expiry

BlueBull
Level 4
Partner Accredited

We may enable collections and storgae migrations a little later. User deletion is not enabled but storage expiry will also be implemented a little later.

Currently we archive with a retention policy set to keep items forever but that will change as soon a business decides on a policy to implement.

AndrewB

the reason i asked is because (as you probably read from your research) collections, storage migrations, user deletion, and storage expiry can all have an effect on closed partitions. collections and expiry can be scheduled activities but storage migrations and user deletion arent.

the good news is that no new data gets added to closed partitions so the chance of data loss from not backing them up as frequently as open partitions is slim. however, you can still end up in an inconsitant state and have issues that would need to be resolved by EVSVR if you ever had to restore and something had changed in the closed partitions between your backups.

when designing an EV system, we take into account the backup windows as well as the backup capabilities of the customer in terms of how long it takes to backup a certain data set. using that information, we can recommend certain partition sizes which can be backed up within a set window. when it comes to the closed partitions, you could consider keeping the system in backup mode over a weekend to accomplish your closed backups.

there is something to what you said about backing up closed partitions during the day but a lot depends on your backup technology as well as what's going on in the system while you're trying to back it up.

BlueBull
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the reply.

What I am trying to figure out is the recommended procedure for backing up EV Closed partions. Should these be backed up while EV is in backup mode or can they be backed up when EV backup mode has been cleared.

I am a little confused and I do apologise but for our Large clients backups are becoming an issue as data grows and also when maintenance is performed on the closed partitions. ie, when data is deleted.

AndrewB

besides what i outlined in my previous post for you. it pretty much boils down to this:

if you're using options/features that make changes to data in the closed partitions then best practice calls for backing up closed partitions while EV is in backup mode.

if you're not using options/features that make changes to data in closed partitions then you can "get away" with backing them up without putting EV in backup mode.

one side note is something that depends on your backup technology because you don't necessarily need to keep EV in backup mode the entire time the backup is running. some backup technologies can take a VSS snapshot of the system and then backup from the data map stored snapshot which allows you to release EV from backup mode long before the actual backup job completes. (but that's another topic of discussion maybe for a different forum)

BlueBull
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you, appreciate the additional explanation.