cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Enterprise Vault server WITHOUT SQL

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Hi all. We have Enterprise Vault 9.0 sp2 and Backup Exec 2010.

We have one centrally located SQL server in one geographic location and a number of Enterprise Vault servers in various other geographic locations.

The design works well, has worked fine for a number of years.

We have added the Enterprise Vault license to our Backup Exec solution and started using the EV-aware backup instead of the old file-level backup method.

Everything goes reasonably well and the EV data gets backed up just fine on each EV server. Indexes get backed up fine too.

But the backup job also wants to back up the SQL server. We don't want that. We are not selecting any SQL databases to be backed up along with EV data and indexes.

But BackupExec still tries to reach out to the SQL server across the WAN and fails because it doesn't have a SQL license.  So the job finishes every time with a failure, which causes people to ask questions, every day. And we have to explain to them every day that it is "OK".

But we don't even want it to use a SQL license. We don't want it to back up any SQL stuff across the WAN.

We have a different backup solution for the SQL server in the location where the SQL server lives.

Is there a way to make BakcupExec stop trying to backup the SQL?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

@AndrewB - you are right. Just tested this and you can select all options except SQL. I suggest you review your options and if it still errors then log a call with the BE team not EV.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The EV Agent for BE tries to backup the SQL databases as it know they are one of the three items that need to be backed up as part of an EV install, the others being: the Vault Store partions and the binaries.

I suspect this would be a feature enhancement request rather than a support issue but always worth a try. If you don't want to use the agent then you could revert back to just using BE 2010 and create a job that does the other two options.

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

:)

It is so nice with the EV license - I don't have to worry about telling the backup teams which partitions are closed, which partition is open.  I don't have to worry about the pre/post  commands...  The agent with the license figures it all out.

Just this SQL annoyance...

Didn't the guys at Symantec foresee that there would be customers with a SQL server running on a different machine in a different geographic location?  :)

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

percy - if it's not part of the selection then BE shouldn't be trying to back it up. i dont see why that would be a fancy feature.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i dont mean to go off-topic but just in case anyone is using this thread for reference - i'd like to point out that the indexes are more important to backup than the binaries. you can always reinstall the binaries but it would take forever to reindex all the data and probably bring your EV servers to their knees too.

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

@AndrewB - you are right. Just tested this and you can select all options except SQL. I suggest you review your options and if it still errors then log a call with the BE team not EV.

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Thanks for testing, Percy.

I definitely don't have any SQL parts selected.

I just drill down and only select the Open Partition. That's it.

But when the job runs, it still "fails".

It backs up the EV data allright. But then it tries to get to the SQL server and logs a failure.

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

also the same behavior in another location where we have BackupExec 12.5 - that has been going on for a while, I was just too lazy to report it.  :)