cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up with Arcserve UDP

EVGarrison
Level 5

Hi there,

Hopefully someone will be able to help with this, we are moving over to Arcserve UDP for backups, we have left EV until last.

Can anyone confirm this is a compatible way to backup the Vault data and indexes? We will carry on with pre and post tasks to set VSG's and INdex to read only.

Its a D2D solution - UDP backup is inremental, from the Day 1 full backup we will have a 90 day rolling incemental backup - principly the data changed is backed up but from the restore point its full recovery points per day.

Are there any consideration we need to make when moving over to this?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SWaters_Arcserv
Not applicable

Hi EVGarrison,

My name is Scott Waters and I am Sr. Solution Integration Architect with Arcserve. I see you had some questions regarding Enterprise Vault and using UDP to back it up. 

I just wanted to chime in and to confirm that what AndrewB explained is correct. So long as you get all of the components in your backup from the node(s) then you will be able to restore the application and archived files back as needed. 

Since we are image based backup you only need to add the volumes to the plan that contain all of these directories. Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I would be more than happy to help with your Arcserve UDP questions.

Regards,

Scott Waters

Senior Solution Integration Architect

Engineering Services (SWAT)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

generally speaking, you're in good shape as long as you have all the EV components (partitions, databases, indexes) in backup mode during your backups

SWaters_Arcserv
Not applicable

Hi EVGarrison,

My name is Scott Waters and I am Sr. Solution Integration Architect with Arcserve. I see you had some questions regarding Enterprise Vault and using UDP to back it up. 

I just wanted to chime in and to confirm that what AndrewB explained is correct. So long as you get all of the components in your backup from the node(s) then you will be able to restore the application and archived files back as needed. 

Since we are image based backup you only need to add the volumes to the plan that contain all of these directories. Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I would be more than happy to help with your Arcserve UDP questions.

Regards,

Scott Waters

Senior Solution Integration Architect

Engineering Services (SWAT)

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

nice. thanks for the note.

EVGarrison
Level 5

Thanks for your comments guys,

Scott - very kind of you to offer on this i will take you up on that offer!;

We will keep the EV server, Exchange and the SQL box all in the same plan, my question is regarding times, our EV VM is 1.6 TB, that’s a big server to put in and out of snapshot.  When the job completes and therefore commits the snapshot created for the UDP backup is it quick? I appreciate that its a VMware task not a UDP task what’s your experience on EV\UDP backups? We are expecting to see a much quicker total job time than our Tape backup.

Thanks to both.