cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backtrace not running

Sortid
Level 6

Hi, I'm using EV10Sp3.  I am trying to troubleshoot an error incthe event log with id 8390 (Host not found).  So I set up a Backtrace to capture it, but it won't start.  The event occurs but no logging happens. 

These are the registry settings I have:

In HKLM\sotware\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enetrrpise Vault\Backtrace

Enabled=1

Exclude=<blank>

Include=8390

LogFileKeepDays=14

LogFolderPath=<blank>

MaxEventsOfEachTypePerDay=5

RuleType=Include

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

By default, Backtrace stores its log files in the Backtrace subfolder of the Enterprise Vault Reports folder. if you have everything configured correctly, it's possible that it's not detecting the error. also, in case you have multiple EV servers, make sure you set this on the actual EV server where you have the error.

looks like you have a typo in the registry path. it should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Wow6432Node
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\Backtrace

make sure you have the right registry key types for each parameter such as string, dword, etc. backtrace is well documented in Utilities.pdf which comes with your EV install media. and just to make sure, the ones where you dont specify anything dont actually say "<blank>" do they? you dont have to have those keys if you want the defaults.

this should help too:

Enterprise Vault Event 8390 Errors - Troubleshooting Digest

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Looks to be correct. I have seen where the Backtrace simply does not capture the event.

Does the event occur randomly; or is there any type of pattern? If so you can try running a dtrace via the Command Prompt and even use the pause command to try and time it if you will not be available to start the dtrace yourself.

Use the Event Logs to help you decide which services to capture, such as DirectoryService and so forth.

See page 50 of the Utilities Guide: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC6040.html

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you tried running with VSA account?

Sortid
Level 6

Thanks guys.  It's now working.  I think dtrace was open under another account and you can't run both at the same time I read somewhere, so kicked him off and away I go.  Thanks again.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

that's correct. dtrace overrides backtrace.