Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EV: none of the index locations is in backup mode

Marc_van_Duuren
Level 4
Partner
Hi there,

When I set my store and index location in backup modus, I receive events that both are set in backup mode successfully.

However when I clear the backup state, I receive event id: 7320, none of the index locations is in backup mode

I tried setting and clearing backup modus manually and by scripts,both with the same result.

Backups work perfect, so must I worry about this event, or not?

Thank you in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Weasel
Level 5
Hi Marc, did you refresh the admin console after set the backup mode for index locations? Did you try to clear the backup mode only for one location with parameter indexrootpath? Hope you have more than one index location configured! I checked this and get eventid 7318 where the message is similar to 7319, the location where the backup mode is cleared is exactly mentioned. Event 7320 tolds you, that ALL of your index locations is no longer in backup mode without to enumerate every single location, it is by design! You can believe the powershell commands and this event entry. I do not know where your problem is... ?
Cheers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

I assume your running EV 8.0 and your using the power shell scripts.

What happens if you run the commands seperately and from the the EV command line and run something similar too

powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-indexlocationbackupmode server}

powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {get-indexlocationbackupmode server1}

When you run this second command this should give you the status of the backup mode on your index locations, what does it show ?

This final one will clear it.
powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-indexlocationbackupmode server1}

What do you findings show, is the backup mode being set for the indexing location or not ?

Marc_van_Duuren
Level 4
Partner

Yes I am running Enterprise Vault 8 using the powershell scripts.

After running the commands:

- powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-indexlocationbackupmode server}

- powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {get-indexlocationbackupmode server}

I receive an overview of my index locations and the BackupMode shows TRUE on all of them.

After that I run the command:

- powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-indexlocationbackupmode server}

which gives me the message that the backup mode on all index locations is successfully cleared.

However at the same time I still see the event "None of the index locations is in backup mode" when I run the clear-indexlocationbackupmode command.

Weasel
Level 5
Hi, check the backup mode in the properties of the indexing service within the administration console. There is a tab index locations. There you will see if the backup mode is set and cleared succesfull by your powershell commands.
I get the same entry in app log and i assume that is correct. You are informed which index locations are set in backup mode by event 7319 and if all index locations returned in normal mode id 7320 is logged.
You can try to clear the backup mode of specific locations with the parameter -indexrootpath and look what is logged.
Cheers

Marc_van_Duuren
Level 4
Partner
Did run the powershell scripts and checked the tab index locations. No backup mode was set.
I then set the index locations in backup mode through the administration console, again no backup mode was set while checked through management console.

The get-indexlocationbackupmode however does show the value TRUE when I set the backup mode.

Now I am lost completely and don't know what to believe anymore.

I think I will believe the powershell commands, or if someone else has another idea, I am willing to give it a try ofcourse.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
After you ran that do you see an events in the EV App log?

Marc_van_Duuren
Level 4
Partner
In the EV app log i still see the 7320 event appearing after clearing the backup mode.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Which version of EV8 are you running as I saw this in the EV8SP1 updates file :-

From SP1 updates_EN.htm:

Backup mode could be cleared unexpectedly from vault stores and index locations [Ref 801186, E1451957]
Under certain circumstances, backup mode could be cleared unexpectedly from vault stores and index locations. This happened because the Administration Console cached certain configuration information including backup mode settings for vault stores and index locations.

If you used PowerShell cmdlets to set or clear backup mode on vault stores or index locations while the Administration Console was open, the cached backup mode settings could become out of date, and then be wrongly reapplied.

Marc_van_Duuren
Level 4
Partner
I am using version EV8 SP2.

Maybe I should make a support ticket about this, however as mentioned earlier, the backup process works fine.
It's just that stupid event in the Windows Event Viewer which is just an informational event.

Weasel
Level 5
Hi Marc, did you refresh the admin console after set the backup mode for index locations? Did you try to clear the backup mode only for one location with parameter indexrootpath? Hope you have more than one index location configured! I checked this and get eventid 7318 where the message is similar to 7319, the location where the backup mode is cleared is exactly mentioned. Event 7320 tolds you, that ALL of your index locations is no longer in backup mode without to enumerate every single location, it is by design! You can believe the powershell commands and this event entry. I do not know where your problem is... ?
Cheers